Has anyone had this reaction to co-codamol

Posted , 3 users are following.

out of the blue I am having acute sciatica. The pain is making me cry, and I can hardly get around. Trying gentle exercises leaves me in agony. I was prescribed co-codamol 30mg/500mg for the excruciating pain. At the age of 75, I've never had anything so painfully severe other than bone surgery. The first two tablets helped, then I took the next dose five hours later. I felt nauseous, started sweating profusely, became so out of it as regards knowing what to do with myself, thought I'd collapse or even die(!). Not all these reactions are mentioned in the leaflet. As I type, I await a further telephone call from my surgery as my cocodamol 8/500 I take for joint pain isn't helping. Any comments of similar experience will be appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't quite understand, how much co-codamol are you taking..you mention a dosage 30/500 mg & the 8/500.

I take the 30/500 mg & sometimes if I take them on a empty stomach i feel a little light headed & sleepy.

whats your GP had to say ?

• Posted

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear. I usually take the lower dose at night for my arthritis. However, for this sciatica the doctor gave me the higher dose. I took two before going to bed and another two when I woke up five hours later. I agree, it was on an empty stomach.  It is the reaction to this second dose in the night, which caused me to feel so terribly ill. As well as nauseous I was unable to function and I felt as though I was about to fall down. I am about to try Tramadol. I have had those in the past following foot surgery. I had no idea sciatica pain was so vicious!
    • Posted

you are right in trying a different pain killer tha suits you, my missus cant take co-codamol she has a similar reaction from them to you.

Heres the thing, these Neuro consultants obviously don't realise how bad & debilitating sciatica is, I think they should have a dose of it to know what its really like, if they did then they would be the first seeking the correct treatment to get rid of  the pain & not to manage it like they expect everyone else to do.

I am currently taking a cocktail of herbal meds including CBD, plus  the co-codamol which I only take once or twice a day & avoid them on a day if I can cope, but I can tolerate it ok.

• Posted

I've had sciatica episodes for decades.  99% of them were cured in 5 minutes to three weeks (depending on the cause) by a chiropractor...no drugs.  The last case was a bone spur crushing my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5.  Neurosurgeon did a quick decompressive laminectomy, same day, instant relief.  You have to know the ROOT CAUSE of the flareup.  Until then, you'll just be popping pills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.