Has anyone had Tight Filum Terminal Dissectum surgery for chiari

Posted , 5 users are following.

I do not have tethered cord but have chiari and all the other horrors along with it. I have read about decompression surgeries everywhere but have researched the Tight filum terminal dissectum surgery in Barcelona. Wondering if anyone has had this minimumally invasive surgery for chiari or sphinx ? And I have heard 3 doctors perform this in the US but am unable to find who or where they are located? Any information would be helpful Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hey i have chiari but my surgeon never mentiond tethered cord or anything soni guess its just plain chiari i had forum magnum decompression 2 years ago and tbh i still suffer head aches the muscle in my neck is buggered i cant lie my head back the back of my head in numb and still get tinitus feel fatigued at times i really duno what the point in me getting surgery was as still on 2 medications and still feel rubbish most of the time

• Posted

This is sadly what i keep hearing about the decompression surgery. If symptoms were fairly mild, the results can be positive but not long lasting. Please refer to the Chiari Institute in Barcelona to see another option. I don't believe surgeons are offering this often enough and there is controversy regarding the technique. I have read fabulous reviews about this for Chiari but would love to hear some first hand comments or if anyone knows some other Dr that will perform the tethered cord procedure. I am so sorry you are in pain again and so fatigued. Could you tell me if your recovery from the surgery was difficult?

• Posted

tbh recovery was oki just the symtoms have never really gone away but i was in hospital for 4 days and on day 5 i was standing in the school play ground waiting to pick my kids up obviously sore n worse part i just wanted to pull the stitches out myself lol

• Posted

Contact Dr Raque at the Neurosurgical Institute of Louisville Kentucky. He is the best. I have tethered cord and had a very successful decompression an c1 laminectomy 12 yrs ago. All the best

• Posted

Thank you for the contact name Did you have Chiari along with tethered cord by chance? I am hoping to avoid decompression completely and have the filum terminal dissectum instead. So great to hear you still are symptom free from so long ago !

• Posted

yes i had both..

Im grateful for Dr Raque. He saved my life

• Posted

I went to the Institute de Chiari Barcelona and had the filum terminale dissectum surgery in 2016...and it was nothing short of miraculous (whereas the 5 hour traumatic chiari decompression surgery I had here in the states gave me 4 weeks of false hope). Best money I have ever spent in my entire life...got me out of bed after 3 years!!! Four years later I am still seeing improvements, and mostly got rid of 20+ symptoms. Do your research on the procedure and Godspeed!

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.