Has anyone had to have a partial hysterectomy and then a full one a few weeks later?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had to have two operations close to each other?  I had ovaries and fallopian tubes, along with a large cyst, removed on 13 November and now, because they found signs of cancer, I have to go back in on 9th January for a total hysterectomy to remove the rest.  Has anyone else had to have two of these operations close together, and how did you feel after the second one, compared to the first?  My first one was keyhole.  With the second they are going to try and do it keyhole, but because of endometreosis, they will have to see on the day if it needs to be abdominal.

I'd be grateful for any help or thoughts about coping with this.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not had one yet so sorry can't hlp you with your question, just wanted to pop in and wish you the best one operation is enough lealoe two rolleyes xx
  • Posted

Hi

I had straight total abdominal.i hope they are able to do it keyhole, I know it makes the recovery much easier.

im sorry to hear you are having 2 so close, good luck and all the best

• Posted

Yes, I had a large fibroid removed via open surgery and 8 weeks later had to be reopened up for womb, ovaries, cervix, Fallopian tubes removed due to sarcoma of womb found when fibroid was removed. Tough recovery with 2 open surgeries within 8 weeks and going straight into surgical menopause but can be done once y
    • Posted

Thanks for responding Gail.  It sounds like you had a rough time, but you sound well now (apart from the menopause).  I think the last part of your message is missing?  How long ago did you have the second surgery and how long before you started to get your strength back please?

xxxKathy

• Posted

Fibroid was Sept 2012, hysterectomy Nov 2012. Getting strength back all depends on how fit you are before going for op and varies per person. I was around 4 months but I was anaemic also which didn't help. make sure to eat well before and after op. Listen to your own body when healing as everyone heals at different rates. Take things at your own pace and rest when you feel need to. Good Protein foods essential to heal & fruit & veg, prune juice good if constipated, arnica 30c before op and after op to help heal bruising. 
  • Posted

Hi kath when i had my total hysterectomy in june i had everythink removed and a 6 lb bourdeine muchinouse tumour removed that night i felt realy ill i was taken to theater again for 5 hours to stop internal bleeding i had 5 units of blood so its simular situation i ended up in hdu for a night due to all the stress my heart rate was 211 bpm but im 7 mnth post op and doin ok apart from menapause symptoms nightmare x goid luck keep updating 
    • Posted

Thanks Bev.  I'm so sorry you had such a rough time. but it's good to know that you and others have been through two surgeries in quick succession and been ok.  I go in again on 9th January (Friday).

xxxKathy

• Posted

Plenty of TLC and friends needed also to help get through it. Main thing is to think positive as much as you can and that you WILL get through this. I hope all goes well for you... Keep the chin up. You'll be in good hands...  
    • Posted

Thank you Gail.  It's good to hear about others who have got through itok.

xxx Kathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.