Has anyone had to use vaginal dilatators?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had my 6 week post op yesterday after having hysterectomy and rectocoele repair. My consultant said everything is healing ok and even though he could still feel some stitches and the cystocoele is there he was happy with the posterior repair. Unfortunately because the posterior repair was quite significant my vaginal canal is now very narrow and I have to go and see someone to learn how to use dilators. If I don’t do this then consultant said I will find sex very painful and most likely won’t ever want it again! Has any one else had to use dilators? I must admit I’m quite nervous at the thought of it all! I have been advised to also have another month off work due to the pain I’m still having - it will be 10 weeks in total before I can go back. Does this sound right?

Any info would be greatly appreciated x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was given dilators when I sas 17 due to a syndrome I have which means that my vagina is considerably smaller than "normal". Unfortunately, due to a combo of being very young, trying to make sense of the diagnosis I had been given and lack of medical support, I only used the dilators a few times. I became extremely distressed as I wasn't coping well with the whole situation. Intercourse was uncomfortable at times, but I was told that due to eventually being in a long term relationship, my boyfriend replaced dilators. They were never sore to use as you control the pressure, but it was the emotional and mental side to it all I found hard to cope with. I've never used them after any of the ops. I've just given myself plenty of time to heal before attempting intercourse (with ample lubrication) I'm not sure if this info is of any help.

• Posted

Hi Fiona1311

Thank you for replying. Like you I feel it’s more the physiological side of it all.

Fortunately I have a very understanding hubby as our sex life hadnt been the best a few months previous to the op as it was very painful. This was one of the main reasons I had the op hoping that it would relieve the symptoms. 

I will see what happens when I have my appt and give myself time to heal as well.

Thanks again

• Posted

I had same op last Oct 2017 , and haven’t had any support over issues I’ve had since op , mainly to do with intercourse , we just couldn’t do it as pain was horrible scar tissue didn’t help , waiting to see consultant to see what they can do , been a really challenging year thankgod I have a understanding husband so take all the advice you can get ! 
    • Posted

Hi Margaret

Im sorry to hear that you haven’t had any real support and I hope your consultant helps you. I think the main problem with these operations is that you are not really given any real information on what to expect after the procedure. I have found this forum a god send as it’s so helpful to know that your not the only one.

Good luck

• Posted

I had a rectocele repair November 2014,had a cystocele too that they left alone. Had a pretty hard recovery,bladder/kidney  infection 4 weeks po. After that followed  a year of ill health,tried to resume intercourse but it was just so painful.Went to see a pelvic floor physio,she said my muscle tone was good but recommended a kegel machine (dilators). That made me worse. Finally after over 3 years po am getting back to a happy sex life again. Then again I ain't no young bird anymore but I missed that intimacy with my fab hub so much. Patience is the key here xx

• Posted

Hi Moonwitch

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask why the dilators made it worse? I know I really need to learn to be more patient! 

• Posted

I've no idea why it made things worse. I had to use mine vaginally and anally too. Made the muscles in my rectum weaker than they were before and was losing what little control I had over my bowels. Went back to see the physio and she told me to discontinue using it and go back to the old fashioned way of doing pelvic floor exercises. 

• Posted

omg i hope i dont have to wait 3 years to feel okay with sex had it last night first time he has been able to get all the way in but omg was painful to start with then ok and now im in pain today been 13 weeks today since my a@p repairs
  • Posted

had same surgery ant and post but with removal of the coil to and im 10 or more weeks into recovery i think it takes longer than they say to heal  more so that i wouldnt go back to work to early or could happen again , 
  • Posted

Hi ive had a posterior and anterior repair done 5 months ago now. Still getting problems after surgery. Mainly bowel problems that i never had before!! After trying for5 months to see my surgeon, finally saw him and hes just said my vagina walls are very narrow and it will be very painful for sex, just try and relax was his advice!!!! And hes referring me onto a colectorol surgeon for my bowels!!! What kind of aftercare is that!! So disappoint ed.
    • Posted

Hi Karen 

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems.

Are you in the uk? Can you ask your gp to refer you to a gynae nurse practitioner?

I am still waiting for an appt to see one to use dilators. I did attempt sex the other day but it was to painful so might try again in a couple of weeks. I’m having more problems with my bladder than my bowels as they didn’t do my cystocoele. I still have to take movicol everyday for my bowels. I tried stopping it but got really constipated and it was horrendous.

Really hope you get sorted soon x

• Posted

im having problems with sex and still bowel movements its sore having sex so waiting to see if gets better think im may be small there now why dont they go into bigger details with after op care very disappointed just now
    • Posted

Hi weesue

I tried for the second time to have sex and it wasn’t as painful as the first time but saying that not managed to get full penetration yet as i think I’m to narrow to go all the way in ( sorry for sounding crude ) think it’s going to take some time and we are going to have to take things really slowly . Im 11 weeks post op now and I totally agree that we should of all been given more info both pre op and post op. Nobody warns you just how bad this op can be. Thank god for this forum it’s been a life saver for me knowing that there are other ladies in the same position. I’ve got that feeling in my bottom again which I had for a few weeks after the op of feeling like there is a rod up there so I’m hoping it’s just my muscles tensing up and not because I’ve had sex. I just want to feel normal again and I’m quite impatient but I do feel better than I did a few weeks ago. It’s just more uncomfortable now where as a week ago I would say I was still in pain so I’m guessing the stitches are healing. I still get that falling out feeling every now and again and especially if I do to much and I’ve not gone back to work yet. 

Did you ever get that feeling and have you managed to go back to work yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.