Has anyone heard of the Mona Lisa Laser treatment for Atrophic Vaginitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I have been suffering from Atrophic Vaginitis and bladder related symtoms for over a year now. I have been using the Premarin cream, however if I do not use it a minimum of every other day I am sore and miserable. Like others I am concerned about the side effects on my body but my quality of life is not good without it. I decided to do some online research and came across the information on the Mona Lisa Laser they insert in your vagina to restore your lining. I know it has been FDA approved and many women say they are getting complete relief from this. Sounds to good to be true.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynne 

can your Gyno give you Estriol like Ovestin Vaginal Ovules and ovestin vaginal Cream.

my Gyno suggested this for me the vaginal Ovules i halve and use twice weekly and the cream for outer bits to keep plump - and help thinning skin and the urethra inside .. Amazing stuff - Ovules are opague and very silky and moisten and hydrate and repair .. 

no way would i use Premarin ( pregnant mares urine - equine HRT ) we are not horses. ( personally i wouldnt touch that at all ) hope your doc told you it was equine ..

Ovestin or Ovestinon its called here, where i live ..

Estriol is the weakest - kinder Estrogen 

Its helped me no end - been using since sept last year and been amazing .

in between i use half a premeno duo vaginal Ovule ( non hormonal ) but dont need very often now ..

i cant use and wont take oral HRT .. I am age 51 and almost 2 years post meno .. Like you had atrophy and it was affecting my life - now all is good .

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay,

Thank you for the reply. I have never heard of Esteiol, Ovestin  or premeno duo vaginal Ovule but have a doc appointment next month and will discuss,  Are these creams?  It seems alot of women use the Premarin Cream here but I have not tried anything else.  I am so tired of this pain and constant burning.  It is really effecting my quality of life.  Thank you again for the advise I will certainly folllow up with my gyno in a couple of weeks and let you know how I come out.  Had you ever heard of the Mona Lisa Laser treatment I mentioned?

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

lim sorry for your discomfort--I know about that. I haven't heard about the laser treatment you mention. I did some research and found after menopause, hormonal changes create a change in the vaginal micro flora and sets ups a revolving cycle of tissue thinning, dryness, tissue abrasions and inflammation. Several alternative practitioners recommend using plain yogurt (with abundant beneficial bacteria counts). You use 1/2 of an insertion tube with the yogurt twice daily for 1-2 weeks (yes, it's messy and you need to wear panty liners), then taper off to once daily (night can be more convenient) and then occasionally. I also used a natural aloe water based vaginal moisturizer daily as well ( you can even add vitamin E--break a 400 mg capsule into the moisturizer before inserting into your vagina).

i have eliminated most of the discomfort doing this and don't need the yogurt anymore but I do use the moisturizer and vitamin E every other day. I stopped washing with soap and use only water. Also, a practitioner told me that orgasms 1-3 daily help :-)

i am also using homeopathy under the guidance of a practitioner to help.

i agree with Jay that a less powerful estrogen is best; plus, I don't like how they treat the mares to get the urine for Premarin.

hope this helps. Feel better soon-- you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi Joy,

I am going to go get the vitamin E supossitories today and begin using them daily. The yogurt is an interesting concept. I will give it a try. I am with you I do not like the treatment of the mares either and am anxious to find another method. Thank you for all the great advice it would be so wonderful to be able to manage this natuarlly. I will keep you posted "OH THE GOLDEN YEARS"

• Posted

I think I read something under the lichen sclerosis forum about this treatment, so you might want to try  using the search term on that forum. LS is a severe autoimmune disorder, with soreness and white patches around the anal and genital regions, and very painful, The genitals shrink and disappear if it is not controlled, so the treatmernt I believe would be given in the circumstances of severe atrophy where sometimes the bladder and urethra are involved.
    • Posted

Hi carmarie,

I googled atrophic vaginitis and this came up.  There is a video of the procedue.  If it works it would be fantastic.  Are you a sufferer?   

• Posted

There is a very detailed video on you tube about this procedure. Also testimonials. Definitely has piqued my interest. My immediate question is does insurance cover it? Also I would think the insertion of the laser would be pretty uncomfortable if the problem you're having is atrophy. Apparently no one on this site who has the problem has tried the procedure as no one has posted so far.
    • Posted

Hi Beverly,

I am unsure regarding insurance but I am definately going to inquire. If I can get this covered I am going to seek out the treatment. The feeds say the discomfort is very minimal however I am sure it would depend on the severity of inflamation at the time of the procedure. As I get more information I will post as I hope everyone finds relief from this awful condition.

• Posted

Hi Sus28,

Well I have several things to report.  Found out today I have a minor case of Lichin Sclerosis and now have to treat this.  I will manage and do my best to keep this under control as well. I do however have to let you know I found a womens health clinic nearby that does the Mona Lisa Laser and I am estatic,  I am making an appointment tomorrow for a consult and should know about the insurance covering it. Keeping my fingers crossed. If this works ans is covered we sufferers may have a solution to our problem. I am also picking up the vitamin e suppositories and am anxious to see if I can get some relief from them.  

• Posted

I did look on the lichen sclerosis board and there are discussions about this treatment, including women who are actively getting it. As some women are in UK and others in US not sure what the insurance situation is. There was mention of it costing $2000-$2500 I think. Also a yearly treatment is required to keep the tissues from regressing apparently.
  • Posted

Hello I have also researched online this particular treatment and it actually seems like a better solution longterm longterm. It I'd being offered in clinics here Harvey Street I believe believe. Cost is a bit of a problem and the fact maybe more than 1 treatment maybe required. I have considered asking my Dr about it and possibly having the treatment. It doesn't mention side effects though and this could make a big difference to that decision.

Let us know if you find out anymore concerning the treatment. :-)

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I am going to my Gyno 8/7 and I am going to get as much information as I can on this procedure. I am also going to call my insurance company today to see if this has been put out there yet. For all you gals using the vitamin E capsules you can go online and find a pharmacy in your area that handles the vitamin E suppositories and they will order them for you. I just ordered some yesterday $10.08 for 24 I cannot wait to try them as sounds like lots of sucess stories for women using them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.