Has anyone here taken Omeprazole dr 20 mg tablet or is familiar with it? Thank you

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would appreciate it if some one would give me their opinion on Omeprazole dr 20 mg tablet? It's also known as Prilosec and Losec. It says it's a 2 week program and not to be taken again for another 4 months if needed. This was prescribed for my husband. Thank you.

He has throat burning and stomach issues. I've given him NAC (N-Acetyl- Cysteine) along with olive leaf and probiotics, and miso soup - and it was helping. At this point he still drinks soda and coffee. He does not use a wedge pillow to sleep on. He does not snack at night. Thank you very much for your help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Yes I have taken it for years and it has really helped.

For the first couple of years I took one every day, now I just take it as and when needed - usually 1 or 2 per week.

• Edited

Hi there .I have been on omeprazole 20mg twice a day .for 9 years straight. as I have barretts osphagus. if it helps him to stay on them .and if doctor says that it is ok .he should stay on them .as when I do not have them .makes me alot worse. the fizzy drinks and coffee .are bad for reflux. coffee and caffeinated drinks can cause bad reflux . if I have a fizzy drink . it really affects my throat .it closes up and have the clearing off the throat for hours .he should try a few weeks straight on the omeprazole . and a few weeks off them see how bad he is with out .if he not to bad and can manage .he could just take as and when needed .

• Edited

I have taken omeprazole it is ok, but it is not as good as esomeprazole in my opinion, but it works fine for lots of people. Coffee and soda are things you are supposed to avoid with reflux, but would be made easier to tolerate with omeprazole. Caffeine is a trigger so if he could switch to decaff it would be better.

• Posted

@dean48614@moon53540 @Lodge

Thank you very much for replying. I will have my DH read your replies. You guys are the best. It so helps us in this process of trying to figure this out. Thank you again!

Blessings,

Nancy

• Edited

I was on omprezole for 2.5 months... it does work... When you are on it do the bland diet if you want to heal.. Do not go off the medication cold Turkey. Anyone who claims this is okay is not following protocol... If you go off cold Turkey the stomach acid may be worse. making your healing effort useless. I took it 2x a day and then after the 2.5 months cut back slowly! worked like a charm.. I still get symptoms if I eat choc. tomato sauce, soda, wine, spicy food etc. but then back on simple things works.. The trick is eat small meals several times a day so your stomach is not empty which produces acid. chew slowly and drink lots of water.. I take vitamins like B12, D, and C. meds like these deplete some vit . I also recommend yogurt daily and I took tsp. of honey 2x a day.. straight not with tea etc.. it does not have to be Manuka honey.. elevate to sleep at night.. Carry crackers incase you can not stop to eat to snack on... ANXIETY makes it worse... Try to walk away from it and know it gets better...

• Edited

I began taking Prevacid 40 mg, back in the late 90's, likely. I had been dealing with reflux and heartburn for a while, and Pepsid AC was not doing much. Then I cut back to 20 mg for a long time, and for a good while now, have been on Omeprazole 10 mg, which works fine for me. I was concerned about taking it, with all the stuff they keep saying about bone health, among other things, but when trying to actually stop taking it, which I have several times, I can never go long, before the rebound hits, so 10 mg is working, and I don't drink carbonated drinks, and I drink tea, which has always been a preference for me to coffee anyway. I'd love to not have to take anything, but acid coming up at night and ruining my esophagus is more frightening to me. I take supplements, and I don't take my pill first thing in the am. For me, I am an early riser, I eat my breakfast, take my supplements with my breakfast, and give myself about 5 hours to absorb them, then take my pill. It works for me.

• Posted

@julie37508 Your experience is very meaningful. Thank you so much! I will let my husband know.

Blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.