Has anyone lost height, and if so, how old were you when it started and what do you think caused it?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone lost height?

If so, what is your age, over what timespan did the change occur, & what was your height then and what is it now? 

Also, what do you think causes height loss?

OTOH, has anyone here NOT experienced height loss associated with their osteopenia/osteoporosis? I'm not sure how common height changes actually are!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've lost height, didn't even know until I was measured when having a DXA scan for bone density.  I suppose it's caused by the vertebrae gradually settling because of decades of gravity.  I  have no fractures.  I seem to have lost more than 2 inches, but as I say I don't know when this started.  I am now over 70, discovered the change nearly three years ago,  Going to physio seems to be helping me maintain upright posture.

• Posted

Also Nordic walking.
  • Posted

I have lost 3" in height (age 68) and as Anhaga says I think it is because the space between the vertabra thins as we age. I have Osteoporosis and now curvature of the spine at the neck. MRI Scan just came back as Degenerative Spine Disease which is a coverall really for aging but a DEXA scan revealed that the lower 3 vertebra are crumbling. I went from Osteopenia to full Osteoporosis within 3 years. I took Alendric Acid tablets one a day for 8 months but could not tolerate them gastro-wise, so then had a Relondrate Infusion which is a 'once a year' treatment - unfortunately this made my gastric problems worse and I will not have another one. Have just adjusted my diet and take Calcium/D3 tablets daily. 

• Posted

Hi. No hight loss so far. Age 63 and suffered 2 fractured vertebrae before being diagnosed over 3 years ago with OP. But scores have improved on Risedronate.
  • Posted

First fracture last October, since then 6 more fractures! I’ve gone from 5ft4ins to 5ft 1ins in that time. I’ve had vertebroplasty on 3 of the vertebrae’s. Still waiting for the last one to heal. Was on Protelos over 5 years. Now having 6 monthly injections. It’s a bloody rubbish condition. I’m 62 but feel 82.  😢

• Posted

I’m 69 and I’ve lost height. I was 5ft 6” into my  fifties.   Like Anaga, it’s very difficult to say when I started loosing height.  I fell backward onto a carpet and injured my coccyx in 2004 aged 55.   I was in constant pain, yet constantly refused a DEXA and X-ray.     My stupid GP said that folk under 60, didn’t get OP and even if it was broken, they wouldn’t do anything about it.   My Nan and Mam had broken bones due to OP and I was sure I had. I continued to have chronic back pain.

I didn’t get my height measured until 2010 when I broke both wrists and finally diagnosed with OP.   I was 5ft 4”.   My height was measured again last yr,  at my Pilates class and I was 5ft 3”.  I think I have lost a bit more because a few months ago, I couldn’t reach the top rail in my wardrobe, to hang my clothes up, so my husband has had to alter it.  I’m almost afraid to have it checked again.

• Posted

I have scoliosis and believe it is common. I also have arthritis in my back as well as elsewhere. I have herniated discs and nerve effects from that into the sacroiliac. I do have osteoporosis but with everything else going on in my back it is probably not the cause of my back issues. I have lost only three centimetres over a long period of time. I am only 154cm which is about 5ft so very short lol.
  • Posted

After 4 spinal fractures, I was diagnosed with OP. Before this I was 5ft 2inches. I'm now 4ft 8ins. Yes, I do stoop a little as I find it painful to stand up completely straight. But when they measure me, they make sure I am as upright as possible.

• Posted

Further to my last reply. I got my height measured at my Pilates class this morning due to reading your posting  and  I’m still the same as last year, 5ft 3”.  My backache yesterday had fortunately improved overnight, so my posture was better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.