Has anyone or know of anyone who's been on a DAFNE course?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there,

I've not posted on the diabetic section before so a bit of background.

I'm based in the UK, female, 56 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for the last 20 years.

Last blood test (Aug 19) HbA1c IFCC reading was 90. It should be between 20 - 41 and my daily blood glucose readings range from anything between 9 and 26. My history is that my blood sugar is always too high. I was diagnosed with a blood sugar reading of 51.2.

I have tried so hard - counting carbs, adjusting my insulin dosage, stopped drinking alcohol and to be honest I feel that I just can't do this anymore as nothing makes sense as I just don't understand, for example I'll go to bed with a blood reading of 13.7 and I'll wake up in the morning with a blood reading of 21.3 after having taken my normal dose of levemir the night before.

So I am now booked onto a 5 day (40 hour) NHS DAFNE course (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) at my local hospital and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as to whether I am going to be able to take it all in!! It's intensive - 8 hours a day, so I'm just wondering if anyone has been on one or knows anyone who has, and how they found it? My consultant says it's life changing so I'm not sure why I've been left to struggle for years and years without going on one before. Anyway that's a different story!!

I am feeling positive that this course will help me and my aim is to hopefully be considered for an insulin pump so I need to go on this course first.

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!!

Claire xx

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.