Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

was this at inova? where they let you know 10 days before the procedure or the current practice where Dr. Bagla is? 
    • Posted

Yes; however, I don't think that would make a difference.  I think the best way to approach it is to count on paying out of pocket and to be pleasantly surprised if it is covered.  My MRI was covered - but I had to redo (CT) scans anyway when i ended up having it done at UNC.
  • Posted

you're right, plan on paying if you have too. Dr. Bagla at his new location and Dr. Issacson now have the same price
    • Posted

Good to know.  Hopefully it can be covered on the basis of hematuria.

Thank you very much for your insight.

• Posted

When I talked to Dr. Bagla and commented on how bad the communication was at Inova, he said it was a disaster there.  One of the reasons that he left.  Also Inova had increased the price dramatially.  Dr. Bagla now charges $7000 cash pay, $10000 for a payment plan as per Luz, his coordinator. 
  • Posted

Anyone know if PAE is possible after Urolift. I believe Dr Isaacson mentioned it would complicate things.
  • Posted

I just had my PAE at UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill NC on 12/22. The staff, and DrIsaackson MD absolutely amazing.  MY CTA prior showed small vessels and he was worried it would be a hard case. After only an hour he had embolized both sides of my 60gm Prostrate gland. I had only some minor pelvic discomfort that lasted a couple hours and that was it. He told me i was a rarity.  I am already not getting up to pee at night and the flow is improved but was told it could be temporary due to the steroids.  I had a normal ograsm with no bleeding or burning while peeing.  I am still taking the Uroxotrol though.  I can't wait to see what happens over the next 3-6 months!.  My symptoms were bad and based on pressure flow study i was higly obstruced by median lobe.I was beginning to have brown semen.   I will continue to post here as we go along . i dont know what the scores were to begin sorry.   Tom from Chicago!     
  • Posted

I had PAE at St. Louis University Hospital in St. Louis, MO, on July 2, 2015. My doctor was Kirubara Vaheesan.  Prior to the procedure, I had a CT scan and a cystoscopy along with some comprehensive lab work (about a month ahead of the procedure). My prostate was 80cc, and I had serious urination frequency problems.  I had been having to get up about once per hour for a few months, and was worried that I may need to retire (I'm 60). The procedure was under partial anasthetic (local plus semi-concious) and took about two hours, with another two hours of immobilized recovery.  

My relief was not immediate, but has steadily improved.  I now can sleep at least one 3 hour period every night (have not done that for at least ten years).  I have had ED problems for a while, but the procedure did not make them any worse, nor better.  I did find out that Cipro causes immediate and total impotence, and that levofloxacin causes serious leg cramps.  I have now placed all fluoride group antibiotics on my "don't take" list. I have a follow up "flow test" coming up in January, and I am confident that I will "blow away" my previous, pitiful results!

• Posted

Is your flow volume and emptying of bladder continuing to improve?  If not, how long after the procedure did the improvement continue?

Thanks

• Posted

Yes to both, and improvements continue.  I can't sit through a movie yet, but I can now make it through a one hour staff meeting!
    • Posted

Glad it worked out for you.  Went to St. Louis University in June for a consultation.   That went fine.  I found the communication otherwise was horrible.  Failure to return calls.  I was told that my insurance would cover it, but it wouldn't.  Gave up on them.  Wasted a trip to St. Louis.  
    • Posted

If you have ED problems, and have tried the pills without success, it's time to consider a penile implant. I have one, and they are great. Search the Web for information and join blogs. Particularly, search for penile implant info, or IM me through this current blog. With one of these, you will be able to make love better than a 20 year old.

Neal

• Posted

I've noticed that pills like viagara cause a desensitization, and diminish my pleasure. How about the implant?
    • Posted

Hi Bob,

As you probably expect, you must recover from the surgery. It takes 2,3 weeks before you are really ready for intercourse after the surgery, and may take up to a year to be absolutely completely without any tinge of minor pain. Also, you may have an area on the front of your scrotum smaller than a small postage stamp with little or no sensation . That said, you certainly can enjoy great intercourse during that period.

There is otherwise, no loss of sensation. On the other hand, you will have an erection as hard or harder than a 17 year old, and that erection will stay there all night if you and your partner want it to, and your heart doesn't give out.

Google AMS and Coloplast, the two companies which make the implants, read what you find there, then contact them or me with further questions.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.