Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was toold by PAE doc before the procedure that that sperm production issue was a possible side effect of the procedure.
    • Posted

Arlington, even if that's true, who cares. I was 69 when I had my PAE and the last thing I wanted was more children. I didn't want retrograde ejaculation which is pretty much 100% with TURP and Holep and I didn't want incontinence and ED which is a significant side effect with both those procedures. 
    • Posted

Just wanted to point that out for accuracy in these posts.
  • Posted

What are the symptoms that people experience  after PAE is done for the 1 month or so I have not seen any mention of that on the forum
    • Posted

The first week is mostly recovery from the procedure. A four to six hour catheterization will cause irritation and susceptibility to Urinary Tract Infection.  After the irritation subsides, at least in my case, slow improvements in flow and retention occurred.  Within a month, my night time wakenings for urination started reducing.
    • Posted

I had no catherization during my procedure.The incision site was sore for a few days but that was very minor.

It just took me a few days to feel like myself. But that was minor as well.

My urination started to improve in about 10 days which is very fast and unusual.  I walked 5 miles the day after and that was fine.

I did start working too soon. A week out I was lifting, pushing, and pulling having to open my campground last spring. I must have caused the artery to open a bit since the inside of my leg got very black and blue so take it easy for two weeks like they tell you.

This was a very simple and painless procedure. NOTHING to have any anxiety about! At least in my opinion and you know what that might be worth. Just saying that it was very easy for me.

• Posted

Mine has been like Ramblin, but no catheter was used, a bottle was used, so no urinary irritation/pain. Some minor pain in prostate area for a few days, and minor pain on ejaculation the first 2-3 times. Since then, slow improvement of urinary symptoms. Tell your urologist, if they want to use a catheter, to use it on themself.

Neal

• Posted

I agree, why use a catheter.  Pisco, Bagla, and Isaacson don't insert a catheter if I'm correct.  
    • Posted

I know Dr. Isaacson doesn't use a catheter.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Chuck

I had the PAE procedure done just over 7 weeks ago at a UK hospital. Prior to this my prostate had enlarged to about 160ml and restricted maximum urinary output to about 120ml at a time with a very weak intermittent flow, numerous night time trips to the bathroom and approximately 220 ml retained in the bladder as shown by pre procedure investigations.

Six weeks later my maximum output has increased to 360ml, which would appear to indicate that my bladder now empties completely. I am still awaiting a scan to confirm this and also to measure the reduction in size of the prostate.

I no longer need the bathroom during the night and am now very happy with my situation.

Immediately after the procedure I was surprised to have blood in my urine, but fortunately only that first day. After returning home later that same day and for the next 2 days after the procedure my urinary tract would appear to have become inflamed. I felt the need to urinate every half hour or so. It was very painful and could only manage a dribble and had leaks. I feared that I might have been one of the failures of PAE but Ibruprofen cleared up the problem quickly and since then things have steadily improved to the point where I now feel as good as I would have felt several years ago. Sexual function is absolutely fine too.

Peter W

• Posted

Hi, I have a scheduled PAE february 15. I have seen reports of urinary 

retention after the proceedure, 24-72 hour periord. Is this a real possiblity and what dose one do in the event this happens? Dose the doctor inform you one of this and make a plan? thanks for any information.

Lou

• Posted

Hi Lou,

I didn't have that problem after my procedure - but I was self-catheterizing as needed anyway.  (This is easy to learn and not nearly as bad as it sounds!)

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lou I had to go a lot the 1st 12 hours every half hour and I had burning sensation for about 4 days , My doctor emailed and called me 3 times a day not to worry you will be fine.
    • Posted

They gave me Ibuprofen 800 /Phenazopyridine 200 mg that will make you pee orange but it helps a lot with the burning sensation and Antibiotics 500mg and I think there was 1 more. I did not feel a thing when they did mine and I thought about it for weeks before. Good luck you will be happy when its over

Jack

• Posted

thanks jack, where did you have PAE done. I am schedule at Inova.

Those are meds I am very familer with as I had a kidney stone procedure this pasted summer.

• Posted

I had my procedure done at the University of Miami with Dr. Shivank Bhatia. He is the kind of doctor who truly cares about his patients. Right when I met him I felt comfortable to do the procedure and that's very rare for me. He took the time to answer any and all of my questions. I would highly reccommend Dr.Bhatia he is a leader in this procedure who wholeheartedly cares about his patients and his work. 
    • Posted

It would seem that my post PAE experiences were very similar to those of Jack2222.

My procedure was done at the Freeman hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne on 2nd Dec 2015. I was patient number 15 and was told that the other 14 have all had successful outcomes. As far as I know the only other centre in the UK where the PAE procedure is carried out is at the Southampton University hospital. I am told that so far they have performed about 200 PAE procedures.

Most of us are part of a research program and will complete regular questionares over a 12 month period ( pre procedure, and at one, three, six and 12 months post procedure) to report on how we are getting on and in particular keep records of fluid intake, urine output over a 3 day period and sexual function. I would say that my sexual performance has if anything slightly improved since the procedure, which makes me and my partner very happy.

I have an appointment to see my consultant in April and will also have a scan to measure reduction in prostate size and see if there is any retention of urine in the bladder after urinating.

I was surprised that the hospital made no mention to me of ibuprofen to deal with possible inflammation problems.

Good luck with your procedure Lou

Peter

• Posted

Thanks again, I am scheduled with Dr Stering ar Inova here in Virginia.

I have yet to meet him but I understand he trained Dr. Bagla how has recently left Inova and is now in Southern Virginia. I will keep you posted on my progress. I was scheduled with Dr Bagla but had to have surgery for kudney stone. 

One last question, were you ever on flowmax and if so are you now not taking the drug?

Regards, Lou

• Posted

Thank you. That would be my concern and why I asked about internentions regarding side effects after PAE surgery. Were you on flowmax proir to PAE? And Now are you still on it. I wish to get off this drug.

Regards

Lou

• Posted

Hi Lou.

I am not familiar with flowmax but assume that it is similar to Tamsulosin Hydrochloride. I was on that for over a year prior to PAE but it had become increasingly ineffective. I was told to take it for 4 more weeks after the procedure and then stop taking  it altogether . I have now been off it for over 3 weeks and am happy about that.

Regards Peter.

• Posted

Lou, 

Dr. Bagla was not trained in PAE by Dr. Sterling and has done more PAE than any doc in america. When he started in 2011 with PAE, there were no other US docs doing PAE and he learned with the original docs in the world. He is at vascular institute of virigina near Inova and operates there and at a few local hospitals as well. 

• Posted

i was scheduled with bagla this summer but had to have kidney surgery so i called to reschedule with bagla and thaey said he was no long there and suggested Sterling. I looked up where bagla is practicing and its about 2 hours from where i live so that could be an option. I have a consult with sterling in a week.
    • Posted

PAEdoc is correct.  Dr. Bagla trained in Portugal and Brazil under the originators.  He told me he has done around 300.
    • Posted

I was on flowmax for a year prior to PAE and I was still on it for 3 weeks after

remember about the peeing every half hour after the procedure it helped me get through that.Let me know how it went I wish you a speedy recovery 

Jack

• Posted

I will let you know. I just called Bagla and will change from Stering to Bagla.

I could not find anything on Stering regarding his abilities and PAE.

Thanks Lou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.