Has anyone out there had a "Prostate Artery Embolization??

Posted , 210 users are following.

I had one on September 10th, 2014 and would love to compare notes with anyone else that has had one.   Thank You.  ChuckP   PS Some people just call it a "PAE" for short.

8 likes, 2499 replies

2499 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dr Bagla at vascular institute of Virginia has done more than 300.

• Posted

Hello PAE doc. i was wondering if you have ever heard of anyone have an allergic reaction to the beads used? I had mine done Jan 26th of this year, and had a really bad reaction, hive, skin discolleration etc all within an hour of the procedure..

I have been on a combination of antibitocs and anti inflammatory meds since the procedure. As long as I am taking the anti inflammatory things are OK. But as soon as I come off the urination difficulties, and the erection/ejacualation problems come right back.

The Doc who done mine has apparently never had this problem before. And from what he is telling me the procedure is not reversable. The only option to get rid of the beads is to remove the prostate.

Have you ever heard of anyone else having this problem?

Any ideas? My GP and the Doc who done my procedure are very frustrated.And of course I am as well.

Thanks Joe

• Posted

I have haerd of this with fibroid embolization but usually this passes over time. have your symptoms gotten better over time?

this would be a rare siutation with  any implantable device

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Sir. My symptoms have not really improved, except when I am taking the predisone packs, or have an injection. 

The spots are also about the same as they were. It was so bad the skin peeled off of the spots within 3 days of the procedure.

Hoping there might still be some change. Not really looking forward to anti inflamatories the rest of my life. Or worse having the prostate removed.

thanks again Joe

• Posted

I am researching PAE for for myself and came across some potential issues:

- risk of high doze of radiation due to prolonged fluoroscopy/radiation exposure that  must be carefully monitored, this may preclude any future radiation treatment for eg. cancer

- should the prostate shrink, as expected, how this effects PSA reading, being important biomarker, what's a correlation  between two ?

- is PAE possible precluding any other treatments for prostate cancer?

I wonder if anyone has some answers to the above?

• Posted

I would talk to an interventional radiologist about the radiation exposure from the fluoroscopy, preferably one that does PAE.  Maybe talk to Dr. Bagla's office.  He may even give you a call back.  

When the prostate shrinks from PAE, the PSA reading will decrease.  

• Posted

I think someone here said the radiologists get way more radiation than any patient will. The radiologists were saying it's not a problem. 
  • Posted

Thanks to this blog I learned about it and compared it to my other options. 

I had the procedure done here in Australia at the Brisbane Wesley Hospital + Medical Imaging. It was done by Dr. Duncan Walker last Wednesday May 25 and till now I am very happy about the results and recovery trend. I believe he must have done >25 patients till now.

• Posted

Does anyone know if medicare currently pays for PAE?
  • Posted

How to find a Prostate Artery Embolization doctor in my area? Is there a web site that could tell me this. 
    • Posted

Dubby,  I found mine by googling  Prostate Artery Embolization + the city.
    • Posted

Would give Society of Interventional Radiologists a call.  Get someone with some experience under their belt. 
  • Posted

Thank you so much. That got me started. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank's again
  • Posted

I am considering PAE but concerned about the possibility of how well can the radiologist isolate the intended artery such that there will be no particles injected into the blood supply of the bladder neck, the colon or penis or any other pelvic organ. To have necrosis of the bladder neck or any other organ would be a nightmare. I wonder how experienced are the radioloigst in doing that
    • Posted

Get someone who is experienced in the procedure.  There is a slight chance of embolization of the bladder and rectum.  I saw this rarely in the clinical literature.  There is a less than 1% chance of erectile dysfunction.  
    • Posted

I jist had PAE Done yesterday by Dr. Bagla . The issues that you're worrying about shouldn't be a concern. Do your due diligence and find a radiologist who knows what they're doing, see how many procedures they performed and go from there or else you have ghosts in your head forever.

It's an amazing process, and I'm blessed to have found one of the bestbest in the world! Here's hoping you find relief, i have no pain what so ever! Godspeed!

• Posted

SS, glad Bagla took care of you. A bit of 2-3 rough days ahead but in two weeks or less the ship will start righting itself up. Bagla did mine as well about 3 weeks + ago. Doing well and agree we had the best of the best. My Uro is fully supportive and believes U made the right call- did not want to do a TURP on me. Back working out, minimal if any catherizing, playing golf. The only issue is UTI and getting away from cargerization or at least minimizing it should help. Godspeed to you and if I can be of help, just holler. Happy for you Mate...cheers!!!
    • Posted

I am about 4 weeks post-PAE and my fellow Patient blogger is 6 weeks post PAE we are noticing changes in ejaculatory force and volume.  Specifically, these have diminished greatly from pre-PAE.  It almost feels like the smooth muscle part of the ejaculation has forgotten how to do it, or is not quite coordinated.  We are not experiencing retrograde ejaculation, but more of a weak force that ends up more like oozing than ejaculating.   We have Wonderful improvements in urine stream, emptying, etc, but surprised about this new change and hoping it is temporary.   We would love to hear from anyone else experiencing this and whether it will improve or not.

Thanking you for your help

Kind

Regards

Chris

• Posted

I am about 4 weeks post-PAE and my fellow Patient blogger is 6 weeks post PAE we are noticing changes in ejaculatory force and volume.  Specifically, these have diminished greatly from pre-PAE.  It almost feels like the smooth muscle part of the ejaculation has forgotten how to do it, or is not quite coordinated.  We are not experiencing retrograde ejaculation, but more of a weak force that ends up more like oozing than ejaculating.   We have Wonderful improvements in urine stream, emptying, etc, but surprised about this new change and hoping it is temporary.   We would love to hear from anyone else experiencing this and whether it will improve or not.

Thanking you for your help

Kind

Regards

Chris

• Posted

Chris

I didn't have that problem, but I did give myself time to recover well. Once that happened all my systems were on full throttle!

Hope it's corrected itself for you by now.

• Posted

Camster,

Where did you see the information about slight chance of embolization of the bladder and rectum?  What clinical literature are you referring to?

• Posted

I can't remember the exact place in the clinical literature because I studied it so much over the last 3-4 years.  It may even be on the release form before you have the procedure done.  Although there is a slight chance of this happening, I rarely saw this happen in the clinical literature.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.