Has anyone read about TMS In relation to back pain and what are their thoughts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

In desperation after wanting some resolution to my back issues I've been reading about TMS Tension Myostis Syndrome which takes into factors of the mind body link in chronic pain. I have a clearly defined medical disorder prolapsed L4/L5 disc compressing CE nerves and no disc left at L5. However, having all this time on my hands it has made me ponder on my life and how I potentially got here. I am a people pleaser never wanting to let anyone down, terrible at saying no. Even though now I'm physically restricted I still put the needs of others above my own. Could my back have started from years of emotional tension, suppression of anger, feelings of guilt because I wanted to be a good person. I've always had the tendecy to overloading myself? I also had a difficult childhood which left its own imprint. What are people's thoughts with regards to back issues and pain. Is it all physical/ biomechanical issues? please let me know. Gemma

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

It is only too understandable that various things run through your mind when going through such a hard time with back pain and the associated difficulties, frustrations and lows it so cruelly causes.

I'm not a medical expert or anything in the least and don't know anything about TMS, but definitely it sounds like there is a clear diagnosed reason for your pain for sure Gemma and I do just hope and pray so much for thing to get better soon. There is nothing worse than when your mind starts going different places, I know that for sure and have been there also with lots of things Gemma it's so hard. Just want you to know I'm thinking about you and remember just take things one day at a time and don't expect too much of yourself - focus on taking care of yourself right now is very important don't forget that whilst also wanting to help others.

I am a Christian Gemma and believe that God is the great physician and healer, and that Jesus paid the price for our healing when He died on the cross all those years ago. A few years ago a dear friend now passed on sent me some Bible decrees to read over and said they will change your life - they really have Gemma and here is one of these which is worth reading aloud each day or whenever you are feeling low or really struggling - even if you don't feel like saying it just read it out loud, that's all you have to do:

"Lord, I am healed in the name of Jesus of Nazareth! I thank You that You sent Jesus to take my sins and sickness away on the cross. Lord, I am saved by the stripes of Jesus I am healed. I will prosper and be in perfect health today even as my soul is saved and prospers." (Matt 8:17, I Peter 2:24)

There is amazing power in these words Gemma, my friend sent me 31 decrees and if you want me to send them all to you just let me know and I can drop you a private message.

Please hang in there Gemma, pain is the worst thing in the world and empathising having dealt with some lower back this last period too, it's got me so down at times and even though I've been lucky still to be able to be mobile with it, it has affected me so much mentally as well as physically. Just praying for God's help for us, and I truly believe you are going to be pain free and get through this with time Gemma thanks to God - thinking of you and remember don't beat yourself up at all - you are a good person and I don't believe any of this is connected with that in any way. If you can though always good to talk to a doctor about your fears / concerns and talk to someone close that you trust too about how you're feeling. Will say a prayer for you Gemma.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I'm an old jedi of C1 + L4 + L5 wars.....

It's been my experience that the cause of a back injuries or conditions a is nearly always a combination of genetics/ physical trauma/ poor posture/ poor diet.

But I would definitely say the full range of negative emotions does exasperate the condition & also greatly slows down the recovery/ healing of the body.

Couple the unstable body function with a negative mind set & you have a cycle of decline in both body & mind which can be hard to break free from...

From your post, it sounds like the past is holding you back & you are trying to define when, who & why.

Life is too short Gemma, identify what you can & find acceptance as soon as you can, so you can begin improving your quality of life.

FYI: I'm normally a very positive person, but I've been cycling down over a couple of years & didn't notice it until I arrived at a low. I'm currently dealing with a decline in quality of life from my neck/ back issues, & have realized I have slipped into a negative mind set & yes childhood issues for me too, which I'm now dealing with. (I'm seeing a physiotherapist/ Pilates for the body, a counselor for the mind & my martial art for my soul.)

I'm already seeing small changes in how my body is reacting to remedial exercises...

I guess my advice would be:

You may not get closure from the people from your past, but you can assess the environment & the people that made them, understanding them helped me find acceptance of why I experienced that past & allowed me to let go of a huge fur ball of resentment & anger, in understanding why they were as they were, I became free from that trap I was snared in...

You can't change the past, but you can change the future, work your on mind, body & spirit positively, small steps until you recognize what makes you tick/ perk up.

Love & luck to you & yours

Steve

• Posted

Thank you for your sound advice Steve. The best of luck in your journey too. Gemma

• Posted

Some wise words for sure Steve - I can only imagine how hard it has been for you to go through the journey you have been through, it definitely sounds like you have shown real courage and strength in some of the darkest and most difficult circumstances, and truly believing you will be a much stronger and healthier person for everything you've been through and praying for much better times ahead and that freedom and good health in your life - I'm believing that this is going to be a year of breakthrough and recovery for you - hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.