has anyone received disability for PHN?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on LTD for almost one year due to my condition.  working 20 hours per week...I have to go back to work full time in 6 weeks and I am still in excruciating pain at night. How can I do this?  I barely sleep even with opiate drugs and take Lyrica all day.  I fall asleep spontaneously due to the drugs i have to take.  I can't DO THIS!  Help

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I had short term disability from work for 90 days. I have been with NW Mutual since 2001 paying for private long term disability based on my salary. That kicked in at 90 days. I am now in the process of applying for social security disability. I was told, but have not read, that after a year of disability you can apply for social security disability. So I'm almost a year over due if that's true! It is a lot of paperwork and again I was told that they usually shoot you down twice before they approve you. With whom do you have the long term disability? Why do you have to go back to work? Are you on all the meds that you should be taking for PHN: amitriptyline, Effexor, lyrica (what dose)? What do you take for pain? Are you getting tolerant to the pain med you take and need a change? Where is your pain? Do you use any topical meds like lidocaine? What have you tried that didn't work for you? Some people like aspercream. I have been using the new extra strength tylenol 8 hour and find it helps me. But it really sounds like you have a couple of things to tackle. Your meds and your $$. There are a lot of resources out there to help you with paperwork and securing supportive income.

Bonnie🐇🐇🐇🐰

• Posted

Are you US

Look up Family Leeave Medical Act

FMLA

YOU ARE ENTITLED UNDER FEDERAL LAW

• Posted

I am new to this Ramsey Hunt Syndrome as of March 16. On Lyrica ,hydrocodone, Valium; and 2nd round of prednison.Rash gone, face still not right and pain... well thats undescribable. How does a respiratory therapist who makes critical decesions, go back to work in all this pain with these medications if its not better when short term disability runs out as well as FMLA??
  • Posted

Once you have been diagnosed and already were paying short term disability, can you appy for long term at this point?
    • Posted

Hey there!! Read my reply about disability from 25 days ago. Some helpful things there I hope. Let me know if you need more info to help you. Be well.
    • Posted

But you already were paying longterm when you were diagnosed, am I correct?? Im sure I cant get it now that Im diagnosed. So, i would think If im not 100% by June 6... FMLA runs out, I lose my job, unemplyment, then disabilility in a year, if its approved..?
    • Posted

I think if you are already a pre existing diseases or problem you cant!! Im going to look into it but I wouldnt think so.
    • Posted

Hi Sue. I have an idea. It may or may not be feasible for you. There are lawyers that all they do is get social security -disability or whatnot involving social security, for you. They have all the tricks and trades to get it on first application. They know who to call. But of course it's a trade off. Paying a lump sum now or struggling for money the next year. Make sure you have COBRA set up if you need it in June. It takes a bit of time to set it up and is very expensive. Go to the government website about disability and read all the ways they can help you. This is something else a lawyer can help you with. Also, a way to save a lot of money if you qualify, are the pharmaceutical company's patient care assistance programs. I get Lyrica, my opiod med, my BP med and an antidepressant via these programs now. Be sure to ask lawyers how successful they are in securing acceptance the 1st application and what is their flat fee for representation. I would interview 3 lawyers. Think about it. smile

• Posted

Yes, i have that thought already in mind. Its just impossible to do my job on the meds we have to take. Im scared Iwould harm a pt by turning the wrong dial. Its not like I work at home where I can rest . Im scared I might snap off on someone, coworker, patient, doctor.... Im 53 and pushing the limits of old age in my job field as it is.... possibly the reason for too much stress since age 18... lol
    • Posted

Also i have gotton coupons from Phamacutical Co for meds which has extremely helped.
    • Posted

Hi again!! I can't go back to work either as an advanced practice nurse. I could kill someone in OR, too. Have you considered teaching at something like a Vo-technical institut or Junior College?? When I think how hard I worked for my degrees I want to lay on the floor and cry.

• Posted

Im 53 with only an Associates Degree. Not many teaching jobs here. Ive spent the last few days trying to minimize bills.. premiums.. ,tv, anything!! And they all say dont stress!!!! What a joke! I let meds wear off to take n pick up my son from school.... then dose up when at home. Single parent as well.
    • Posted

Also i stay in pain right now,probably chop some poor student’s head off. Ill make it somehow. We will see come June 6.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.