Has anyone recently had a benign growth removed from parotid gland

Posted , 6 users are following.

I should like to know if most people actually suffer temporary facial paralysis afterwards for up to six months as I have been told, or am I just being warned that it might happen. Can only find people on the internet who have suffered temporary or permanent paralysis, no one seems to mention if it does no happend. Am worred about having the operation and feel at the moment would rather not have it done.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pam just read your post.i had this op done March 13th 2013.benign partoid tumor,

Don't put off having it done,it could turn nasty if you leave it,not a risk I was prepared to take Pam.i do have numbness and sensitivity since the op.odd sensation

By not having it done you will always be feeling that lump and they can grow.mine was size of a fifty piece.only noticed it one morning toning my hair.knew it hadn't been there long as tong hair most days so I would have spotted it, have a word with maxi surgeon with your concerns ,I'm glad mines gone.get back to me if any worries  x

• Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly.   Not found anyone else who has had this, let alone the op.   I go back to Hospital 8th May, and was going to tell them to delay it for a while or so, but its beginning to hurt now so have been quite worried about what to do.  It's good to speak with someone who has already had the operation.   It's the possible paralysis which is the main worry to me.  I come from the Midlands area and can only find sites on the internet where people live in USA, hardly any from the UK, thank you for answering.
    • Posted

Hi Pam I can understand how you feel,been in your shoes,mine is just sensitive my maxi surgeon was super.even in my follow up appointments  always put me at ease.my last app was in October to see him.all done but he said any probs just go back to him couldn't ask for more ,he took it out my main worry having a lump where it shouldn't be.do have it done ,one less worry in your life,and my don't we get a lot of them in our lifetime.scars fade.lumps don't Pam.im down in Dorset great hospitals here no complaints. Your be fine whilst having neck done surgeon removed my 2nd skin cancer. So that was good 2 for 1 got to laugh hey good NHS x
  • Posted

Hi Pam. I have had a slightly different op earlier this year. I had my right submandibular gland removed because of stones and repeated infection. It has left me with some slight paralysis of the right side of my lower lip which affects my smile and opening my mouth, although other people say they can hardly notice it.  I have been told it is most likely to be temporary but could take 12-18 months to get feeling back. Everything else is ok and I'm glad I've had it done as it was becoming quite painful. 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. It is helpful to hear from other people. Glad you are doing ok.
    • Posted

Hi Pamhow did Hsp visit go today.all systems a go ? All your questions answered to.lets know how it went x
    • Posted

Only saw the Registrar. I asked about the paralysis and she stated 2% had permanent, and  bet 10 - 15% had temporary, lasting around 18 months.  She stated she had to tell me the worse senario. She said if I left it, it would just get bigger and could turn into something sinister. She not sure where I am on the waiting list. I asked if the consultant would be doing the op and she said he would be there and that I was his patient, and that she is being taught by him.  I asked if she would have it done and she said yes.  Still not convinced to have it done.

• Posted

Mine is just sensitive Pam if for instance I got itch on side of ear my nail would make it feel sensitive no matter how lightly I touched my face, it is what it is .i had a skin cancer removed from further down my neck same side as op .within 6 months no hint of pain Pam .they said same to me it can turn nasty,if you did leave it,you will always wonder what's it doing now,and they do get bigger. Bigger op Pam.i got no paralysis at all.my husband can vouch for that..do have it done From start of all of it took around 4 months.then 6 months to end of follows ups.don't let anyone put wind up you over it. Glad it's all done and behind me that's for sure.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your advice. It's been a great help talking with you.  Glad you're doing ok now. 
    • Posted

Your be fine,just get it done,life's full of uncertainties,but healths got to take priority,I've had a lot to contend with past few years that came along out of nowhere health wise,but if it can get sorted I'm happy.got tinnitus,rhinitis.had broken arm ,had carpal tunnel op done3 yrs ago now I got a balance problem to for past 3yrs then 2 lots of skin cancer..it's been a lot on my plate.,going on 9 yrs now.That said Pam many more out there worse off than me.let me know how you go on,think positive to getting it done.i did.always here to chat any time.Pam xx
    • Posted

Hi Pam anymore on the Partoid being removed,hope you've said yes lets know if you've decided either way okay x
    • Posted

Morning Marlene, Thanks for keeping in touch, been in Scotland for a break.  On the waiting list still, my three months wait should be up soon.  Shame we are unable to contact direct.
  • Posted

With my issues with my parotid, I found this site informative with people who have lots to share about parotids and experience with such things. It is only about parotids http://patientsforum.com/
  • Posted

Hi Pam, I am new to these forums but I had a parotid tumour removed over 7 years ago now. I like yourself was really anxious, luckily it was benign and to this day I can't feel my earlobe plus if I touch under my chin, I can feel it at the top of my ear. Both these little issues are far better than having a benign lump in your gland. By leaving it you don't know what further issues you may cause. 

• Posted

Hi Chrissy, Thank you for updating me with your condition.   I am still waiting for my op.  Been on the list since February.   I will go ahead, but am very concerned about any paraylsis but I guess it's just the risk you have to take.   I am glad that everything is ok for you. Regards Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.