Has anyone recently had a Big Toe Joint Replacement Operation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

If so, I would like to hear how you are getting on. I had the op 10 weeks ago, I am still in pain and have tendonitis. I go to physio and can bend my toe which is great but the pain is still as bad as before the op, hoping its because its still early days after a joint op.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I interpret that you have had a "joint replacement" of the great metatarso-phalangeal joint,

For which reason was it "replaced"?

Although commonly used the term "replacement" is incorrect. The correct term should be "substitute". No prosthetic joint can ever "replace" a biological joint.

Do you have rheumatoid arthritis, and how old are you?

• Posted

Hi, Yes that's right. I have osteoarthritis in both big toe joints, it is severe. Ten months ago I had cheilectomy and osteotomy operation in both big toe joints but as the pain did not go iv had the joint replaced. I'm 55. Have u similar problem?
    • Posted

Hello Julie and jp. Am interested in reading this as I have to have a bunion op and 2nd and 3rd toe straightening after being told that my toes are getting worse and that if I don't have this op that it will get so bad that it'll eventually become inoperable.  I've always avoided this op after reading horror stories, but am now really stuck in my mind as to what to do.  My foot is very painful by the way and getting worse.  The description of the procedures to be used are beyond me, but I have googled them and tried to understand to the best of my ability. What worries me most is wondering what the level of pain will be afterwards and after being told it will be 60% successful, what does unsuccessful mean.  If I don't have the op, I'm only going to be in even more pain eventually.  Can you or anyone else comment on my thoughts?
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, Thanks for your reply, I haven't spoken to anyone with your condition but I know what been in continuous foot pain is like. I can only advise u have a good discussion with ur surgeon on your options, which you sound like you have. Dont think even they can guarantee operations are 100% successful, we are all so different. Good luck.
    • Posted

The sad and oft repeated story, cheilectomy and then "joint replacement, probably a silicon implant. I throw up my hands in dispair....

When will they ever learn....

• Posted

A 40% chance of being made worse? Really?

There is never the need to "do something now to prevent something worse happening in the future" in the deformities of the forefoot.

Function and intrusion into you way of life are the only two factors to be taken into account.

Many have grotesquely deformed feet with no functional problems.

I throw up my hands in despair....

When will they ever learn....?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.