Has anyone recovered insomnia using Olanzapine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got insomnia after 2 days anesthesia due to stomach polyp surgery (endoscopy). I tried several antidepressant without success then olanzapine. I sleep well with olanzapine however after 2 months i got daily tension headaches. I continue taking olanzapine for 1 1/2 years now from 10 mg down to 2.5 mg in 9 months. Sometimes my sleep is coming back without olanzapine but only 1 -2 days.

My Psychiatrist then recommended me to take Olanzapine every other day. Unfortunately it didn't work.

Is it a rebound insomnia? Do i still have the chance to recover?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI

Every time I see a post on Olanzepine my blood boils!

That drug lethal should not be allowed!

It causes more problems than what it is worth! I personally experienced the serious withdrawal side affects (havoc to my physical and mental health) but also what it did to me whilst on it which never should of been prescribed in the first place! I even went as far as making a complaint through the Health and Disability Advocacy Service

I feel so strongly about mismanagement of psychiatric medication that I now work as a Consumer Consultant role in Mental Health mainly concentrating on Medication Management and Physical Wellbeing

Anyway I'm sorry if I'm alarmed you if you research you will find many other consumers who have had big problems from taking/withdrawing from it

My advice is to get off it but you have to do it very very slowly

There's other safer medications and also alternative options

• Posted

Hi karogers, Thanks for your message. I am now trying to withdraw this drug though no success yet. I hope soon. Happy new year.

• Posted

There is always a chance to recover, you just have to be dedicated and be determined. Its more of a mental thing than physical.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.