Has anyone regained their hearing?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello slowly ETD took my right ear now I can feel myself becoming deaf in my left ear. I was wondering if anyone has had it return after surgery or medication that worked. My ENT has only offered otc allergy medication and my primary care physician is out of town so I can't get a referral. I can not live in a world without sound and music and doctors just want to sweep me under the rug. I feel the lowest I ever felt and can not go on with this condition.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It should come back if it isn't being damaged by an untreated infection. If it is inflammation from allergies or something to do with TMJ then as far as I know once those issues are resolved it should clear up your hearing.

Is your right ear completely deaf or is it muffled? Did you notice it becoming more clogged/pressurized as you lost your hearing? Is it aching or painful?

Just my opinions as a fellow sufferer.

• Posted

It is very muffled asymettric low frequnecy hearing loss that started from glue ear that never cleared. Yet it has extreme pressure and I can't breathe through my deviated right septum. I will try to see a local ENT allergist team. Is your ETD related to allergies?

• Posted

I've heard that glue ear takes longer to clear than most other causes due to the infection. Your deviated septum could make it even longer to clear as well as the other issues you mentioned.

On top of that if you have hay fever or rhinitis the tubes will be swollen and its even harder to clear, but if you can address each one of these problems and solve them it should clear eventually in my opinion.

The 3 ENT's I've seen have never connected any dots as to why I've got ETD, but each one has told me they see irritation and one called it severe rhinitis in my nose and then said "that could be causing some of your hearing problems", although then he told me it sounds like age-related hearing loss, I'm early-mid twenties and live in the quiet country, audio gram showed no loss. I'm thinking it was a combination of coughing a bunch of mucus up into my ETs after smoking too much, and then having them be swollen from rhinitis in my nose and throat.

If a doctor sees you have rhinitis or irritation that could definitely be causing inflammation in your tubes giving you all the ETD symtoms on top of your other problems.

• Posted

Have you considered PE tubes? (Pressure Equalizer tubes, like the ones the give children when they get chronic ear infections?) I got tubes back in June and it has solved 90% of my unlivable ETD problems. The painful blockage in my head has mostly subsided, and my left ear is completely healed. (My right ear is my bad ear, but it got so bad it traveled to my left.) I sometimes get issues in my right ear still, but not like it ever was. My ENT had an audiologist do a hearing and pressure test in my ears and that's when they realized I needed tubes. I understand your frustration, I was truly hopeless before I got tubes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.