has anyone requested a perineoplasty/levatorplasty with their a & p repair and surgeon agreed ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Scheduled to have an anterior and posterior repair on November 28, 2017 and my presurgery consultation is on October 26 at that time I am going to beg my surgeon (hes a urogynecologist and this is my second surgery for prolapse my first a and p repair was only done site specific for he posterior side 2 years ago by my obgyn..I'm going to beg my urogyne  for the perineoplasty.  because I had a second Degree tear with my second child that didn't heal properly one of my stitches fell out when I was still in the hospital I have no perenineum now no support down there and I know this is the problem does anyone tell their surgeon this and they agreed and did the perineoplasty as well I think that I read that they decide that at the pre-surgery consult thank you in advance if you can shed some light on this 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am having a posterior rectocele repai r in October 19 and to my surprise the doctor told me today. There will be no bad pain and that it can be controlled with ibuprofen even told me That the day after the surgery I can drive and resume my normal activities. What I don't understand is how I have seen other patients as well as info online describing how uncomfortable you will feel after the surgery and how you should take it easy for the next 6 weeks or so. Has your doctor tell you what to expect after the surgery?

• Posted

Is he a Urogynaecologist? That sure isn't the norm. That's pretty scary advice to say the least. I would like to see him with his insides full of stitches, & resuming normal activities. I would change Surgeons sorry. 

• Posted

I know. The information he is giving me is very different from what I have researched about this procedure.
  • Posted

That is a scary reply by your doctor. I read just the opposite. You must be very careful first 6 weeks not to damage repair. I will be having a posterior and perineum repair next year. Nervous but hopeful. Good luck everyone!!
  • Posted

I'm not sure about the terminology. Is perineoplasty the same as a perineal repair? 

Anyway I had a posterior repair and a perineal repair 5 weeks ago and I can honestly say I've had no pain whatsoever.  Slight discomfort from the perineal scar touching my pad in the earl days and on my underwear but I've needed no pain killers  after leaving hospital.   I wasn't expecting anti feel so well after reading the posts on this forum but I can happily say it's not all bad news. 

• Posted

Hi, not sure where you live but the advice given for after this type of surgery in the UK is NO driving for 4-6 weeks and you should first try to stamp on the floor as if doing an emergency stop. If you can do this without pain or feeling pressure on the scar it should be ok to drive short distance at first. Also check with your car insurance and ask what their advice is regarding driving after this type of surgery. Best wishes, Poll  X  rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks so much. That is the information I have seen in other boards. I live in Massachusetts(US)
    • Posted

You're very welcome. You should follow this advice, not the person who said otherwise or your insurance may not cover in the event of an accident. razz  

• Posted

The info sheets sent to me by my urogynae says it is common to have perineum repair at same time as posterior repair. I have beeen told that I have a deficient perineum and will have this repaired when I have posterior repair. You should ask at your pre op appointment if they consider this necessary and express your thoughts and maybe they will do it. Hope it all goes well x
  • Posted

Hi

My surgeon said he would do a perineal repair, his suggestion, first time I saw him privately then when I saw him as NHS patient he said he wouldn't as he was only doing anterior not posterior but in the end when he examined me in theatre under anaesthetic he decided it was needed so When I woke up it had been done. It's certainly providing more support but took a month or more before I could sit comfortably. 11 weeks and scar tissue is still very hard but no longer painful.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. I'm hoping that my doctor will agree that I need perineal repair at my consult I know I am the patient and he is the doctor and he knows what he's doing all the technicalities etc it's just that I've distinctly been aware of my lack of support in the perineal area since the birth of my second; you know how you know when something's wrong with you and you know what the problem is because it's your body but it's hard to get doctors to listen sometimes - well at least he may agree that extra support is needed because this is my second surgery for both anterior and posterior repair. I'm not scared of pain whatsoever I seem to do good with surgery on that front. My second is almost 3 now too so I don't lift him as much as I did when he was 1 which is how old he was when I had first repairs. Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.