Has anyone's skin gone dry with hypothyroidism?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi people, I was just wondering if anyone's skin has gone dry and if this is a problem that people with hypothyroidism have to deal with?

I was diagnosed in April 2013 and prior to diagnosis I kept on getting really dry skin on my face. My skin was soft and more oily... It's more dry and it takes a while for spots to disappear rolleyes

I have been on levothyroxine since April 2013 and it has only been one month since my thyroid level has been in a normal range of 0.6. Will my skin go back to normal or will it tend to be more dry than before?? Hope someone can help smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes the dry skin is part of hypothyroid. If you had oily skin before you will definitely notice a difference. I think that generally how well your medication is dialed in for you individually will help. So many things we have to deal with that individually are not all that bad but collectively they can be a pain.
  • Posted

Thank you for replying Teetee. It is just so annoying :-/ I thought that once your thyroid level is in the normal range all symptoms would go and everything would go back to normal :-s
  • Posted

Unfortunately no Krishna! Things get better, but I don't think I have spoken to anyone who goes back to there complete old self. Because every single one of our cells has been cacked up by this disease pre diagnosis, some of the cells never can recoup, and the longer we were suffering the worse the damage. If you add on to this that everyone of us is getting older, (which is actually a good thing, the only other option is dying,) then you have a mixture that precludes ever becoming our younger selves again.

I can heartily recommend a couple of facebook groups that will give you a ton of info, tips, ideas and support, and help you realise that you are far from alone.These are, Hypothyroid, (just that word) and a brand new offshoot, (just a couple of days old) Hypothyroid UK for patients here in UK.The former is international and will give an insight into what is happening all over the world re treatments, research, support etc, and what is out there for help, and the latter for our peculiarity in UK re treatments, tests, etc -etc.

• Posted

As a child I always had dry skin round my elbows and rubbing cream in did nothing to make it better. Diagnosed in my 50s and after a while, after being properly medicated, I suddenly realised I had normal skin on my elbows. I am in my early 70s and have very good skin for my age. I have never smoked which is always bad for the skin's elasticity. I think in time all will come better.MaggeW

• Posted

Thank you Pippa and Maggie for your reply.

I think I only had problems with my thyroid for a year.. I started to lose weight and because I'm quite slim it was more noticeable and loads of my hair started to fall out so decided to go to the doctors as I knew there was something wrong with me. I've only been on treatment for 9 months and it's only been a month since my thyroid level has been in the normal range.. The doctors have told me everything will go back to normal so I guess I will have to wait and see if things improve rolleyes

• Posted

Hello Maggie, do you use a specific moisturising cream?? I'm currently using Nivea cream the one in the big blue container and Argan oil from holland and barret to improve my skin
  • Posted

I do use a body butter on my arms, Boots do one which I have used and that is quite good. Maggie

• Posted

'The doctors have told me everything will go back to normal so I guess I will have to wait and see if things improve'

Oh if only that was usually the case! Unfortunately most do not find that this is the case, but we try to live our lives around the disease, and thank god that we don't feel as bad as before diagnosis. But back to normal!? I haven't spoken to even one sufferer who has reported that.

I am not telling you this to upset you, but to prepare you!(I really do feel Docs should be told not to say this to patients, it is misguided at best, cruel in generality.)

Having said all of this, you may be in the silent minority where getting back to normal is true!!

If not, like I posted above, there are groups out there to support!

God Bless! xx

• Posted

Thank you for being realistic Pippa, I guess the doctors just tell you that to not scare you! When really they should be honest!

What other symptoms are you all experiencing? My hair is falling out, my skin is dry, I'm not putting my weight back on despite eating properly (I somehow lost weight with an underactive thyroid but I'm quite petite and don't feel I look healthy) and I've started getting hot flushes that went and have now come back rolleyes I'm fed up and I've only had this since last April rolleyes I just don't understand how there is not a proper cure out there. It baffles me! X

• Posted

It would be worth you doing a few things....

1) If you haven't already, start up a journal, a little diary, of all your symptoms, appointments, tests done, results etc.

2) read up everything about testing protocols here in UK but also internationally aswell, to give you full overview.

3) Make sure you find out your test results from your doc, they have no right to keep them from you, and don't let them fob you off with 'in the normal range'/'not in...', you want the numbers.

4) Ask the doc what lab range they are using. (generally here, the range is 4.5-0.4. The former is on the hypo end of range, the latter to the hyper end.) Sometimes Docs are Waaaay behind the times and use ranges that are completely out of date.

(you don't need to have them print it out, they may charge to do so, but jot it down, (in your journal) and keep it.)

5) If you are on facebook, join those two groups I mentioned above. You won't believe how much info, help and support you can get there, IN REAL TIME!. If you aren't on FB, join!! You can be as private as you like on it, almost anonymous indeed, but it will give you access to these groups, where you can just read posts or interact as little, or as much, or as not at all, as you like!

6) Look at the Thyroid UK site, which is a wealth of info for UK patients and fights for us.

7) Try and get the test for hashimotos, not that you will get a different treatment, (we are only ever given Levothyroxine here in UK without having one hell of a fight), but you will have fluctuating symptoms and results, ranging from hyper to hypo, and your doses will need to follow this pattern.

Docs basically don't bother testing for this, but without knowing, it leaves you in a nomansland of understanding yourself and your reactions, and at the mercy of (sorry to say it) usually total lack of knowledge and interest by most docs. (Not saying anything about YOUR doc who may be good, but if so is in a minority regarding this disease.)

Overall, and in short, find out as much as you can about your disease, treatments and testing and become your own advocate. Your Doc will respect you if you show you have gleaned knowledge and understanding of your own disease, and will work with you. If he/she doesn't GET A NEW DOC!

Much love and hugs. (JOIN THE FB PAGES, you'll not regret it!! ) xxx

• Posted

Sorry, those FB groups are Hypothyroidism and Hypothyroid UK. (notice the ending ism on the end of the first group, and not on the second. BRAIN FOG!! Idiot!! Sorry about that!! xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.