Has anyone's Tinnitus disappeared after coming off Anti Depressants?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I have been on Citalopram for the last few years and have been off it for nearly 6 weeks. I am convinced that it caused Tinnitus which I have in both ears, has anyone experienced their Tinnitus going away after coming off these meds?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It is often described in such a drugs leaflet that it can cause tinnitus.

Psychotropic meds sohuld be used as last resort only or in "emergency" case.

SSRI are known as brand new easy drugs but it can cause so much harmful effects that should be avoided in most cases.

Phase II detox liver must work well if you wan't to use any drugs. In other case you may experience toxicity just like the tinnitus.

Pozdrawiam,

Przemek

• Posted

This is a great question because I often wonder if Xanax causes tinnitus. I've been on Xanax for 32 years. Tapering off that medication after this long might be a problem? I only take a small dose 0.25 - 1.0 daily.

Is there any possibility going off of xanax would make the crickets go away?

• Posted

its interesting what Przemec says about toximity I am researching this, and there is no doubt from what I have found that these meds can cause this, I am going to work on elininating toxins and see how I get on. would love to hear from anyone whose tinnitus has disappeared.

• Posted

Maybe I go to far I red about toxicity which cause tinitus. And SSRI can be toxic which manifest by eg altering liver enzymes. But for me the best is good sleep.

Seems be quiet also when my biliurbin goes down.

• Posted

Thank you Przemek for your replies, I am working on detoxing myself, its horrible! I remember that when I recently had bloods taken, my liver function was slightly raised, so goes with what you are saying.

• Edited

Yes, it has for my younger brother. It vanished within 5 weeks.

• Posted

Did you have it all the time being on antidepressant? Can I ask you which one caused it? I have it on Sertraline and I still have hopes that it will improve .... but maybe not then...

• Posted

Please check blood liver test (enzymes, bilirubine)

• Posted

I had a depression a few years ago and took 10mg of citalopram daily for 7 weeks and it did the trick. I did not get tinnitus but I am certain that the citalopram turned a long-standing borderline diabetes (not requiring medication) into full type 2 diabetes for which I now take insulin.

• Posted

hello all,

In my case, i do not know which medication to blame.

My amitriptyline was increased from 25mg to 50mg 4 weeks ago. Also, I stopped (abruptly) zopiclone 2 days ago and diazepam 3 days ago . I have since developped very loud tinnitus. I think the diazepam and zopiclone withdrawal is the culprit in my case...

• Posted

I'm happy to have found this dicussion!!

I was on Sertraline for 7 weeks. I started to experience tinnitus. I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and I still have tinnitus. It is only in my right ear. I have had my ears looked in by an ent consultant and she said they look fine and her advice was to ignore the tinnitus! Very hard to do at night! It's really getting me down. Will my GP do a blood test to check my liver function if I ask? How do you get rid of these toxins?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.