Has anyone's Uti's improved with Supplements or a Probiotic

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All,

I have had Uti's the last 10 years, but cronic everytime I am sexually active the last 3 years. I have tried everything from altering diet (dairy free, lactose free) increasing water intake, empty the bladder before and after sex, tried condoms, natural lubricants, cotton underwear, showering twice a day, to taking a daily low dose of Macrobid for six months, which in fact destroyed my good gutt bacteria. This in turn cause all kinds of other issues such as  candida (yeast overgrowth), although the uti's were at bay during that time, the long term effects to my digestive system that I was oblivious to outweighted the short term relief.

You become desperate that if they said stand on your head before and after sex to prevent a Uti, sadly I may have tried that. I am 46 and perimeno but still have a montly period. As perscribed by Urologist I  have tried a low dose of etrogen cream once a week as well. I have seen Urologists, Gyno, Infection Control and noone can find any irregularities to cause this yet urine sample prove I am cronic. This in turn has caused alot of anxiety and strains on a marriage for obvious reasons. I am thankful however I do have a supportive partner. 

Has anyone tried a 50 billion strength with 15 stains or more probiotic daily and received any benefits from Uti's? If so, which have you tried and how long did it take before you saw results. I have also tried cranberry suppliments and d- mannose powder and tablets with no luck.  

They say your gutt should be 80/20 with 80 per cent good bacteria so I do belief Uti's are also associated with bad gutt issues. Appreciate any and all feedback other then daily antibiotics as a means of treatment.

I would rather prevent and get to the root of the problem before treatment is required.  

Thank you for your time!

Prayers to you for health and happiness. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Roxann

Goodness 10 years, that's horrid, I thought my year and a bit was bad enough.

Firstly, I'm sure you do this but will ask anyway, do you keep your fluid intake up, drinking plenty of water etc? also do you only wash intimate parts with just water? nothing perfumed, are you using tampons (if so stop they don't help) if not do your sanitary pads have that awful synthetic perfume that some have today? all of these products can aggravate like mad.

RE probitotics, yes I have started taking them the ones I take are specifically for women wh suffer from UTI's, and yes I think that they are helping, I also take 2 cranberry tablets & 1 vitimin C tablet in the morning as well, but I have found that even taking all these suppliments if I don't keep up the fluids (I try to drink 2 ltrs a day) then the stinging/burning starts, only mildly but it is there and I know then to drink more. Do you drink much coffee? I was advised by my GP to try to cut down or if I could then cut out, I now drink a Barley based drink very similar to coffee, apparently caffeine aggravates this as well. I last took antibiotics around 6 weeks ago so have kept it at bay so far, fingers crossed that it continues.

Good luck.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Probiotics are wonderful.  Over the last year I have had similiar issues, chonic symtoms, seen the same doctors as you.  I have been getting micrscopic urinalysis done, and even the months I have symptoms it can show clear.  On occasion I get a low count of strep b in my urine, but the urologist doesn't think that is what is causing my symptoms and won't treat it......I take probotics orally, vaginally and I also drink kieffer and eat yogurt....all organic.....and I will say it does imprive things.  I still get days where I get irritation or burning, but in truth after blood tests and making a diary by keeping track of my sysmptoms mine is more than likely perimenopause.  I am 42 and this all started a month after I turned 42.  I really hope as time goes on and I continue to try and get my hormones in check that this will disappear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.