Has anyone suffered from Amiodarone and Apixaben drugs

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband age 69 who has never really been ill recently recovered from severe bronchitis and pneumonia which left his heart suffering Atrial fibrillation in March this year. The cardiologist put him on Apixaben 50mg twice daily Amiodarone hydrochloride 200mg daily whilst waiting for a Cardioversion. They made him unwell and he was not the man he was.

He had the cardio procedure in September six months later with great success. He has a healthy heart but was told to carry on with medication.

For years prior to his illness he suffered with regular migraines and had MRI's and blood tests and lots of medication. Of course he suffered overuse a build up with tripton.

He managed to stop his migraines himself with diet cutting out Lectins and all sugars.

He has a good diet and does not smoke or drink alcohol. Well since using this medication above the migraines have come back with a vengeance as well as vomiting. I also think they may have been aggravated by his cardio procedure.... I don't know.

My husband has since taken himself off of his medication except Rizatripton because he feels so bad. He looks so poorly and I'm panicking. . . . . . Can anyone help?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had to go on blood thinners for PEs and rivaroxiban and apixiban are the worst for splitting headaches. There is a newer one called edoxaban, I am not going to say it doesn't have side effects but I didn't get the same type of headaches I got with the other 2.

what helped me with apixiban when I was on it was someone gently massaging the back of my head and neck. So if he goes back on blood thinners, if he gets the headaches again see if that helps him. Another thing is when I was on blood thinners I was very thirsty so make sure he drinks plenty of water because if he is dehydrated that can add to a headache.

good luck, I hope everything works out for him.

• Posted

Hello Moon 53540.

Thank you kindly for your help. My husband was sure that apixiban was the one that was making so bad for months.

He stopped all his medication a week ago in the hopes his migraines will stop. I think it will probably take a while to get out of his system.

Thank you yes I gently massaged the back of his head and neck this morning and he now saying he's feeling some relief. and yes you are right he said he is always thirsty.

I don't think he will take those blood thinners again.

I feel happier now Thank you moon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.