Has anyone switched from Levo to Armour?

Posted , 9 users are following.

my Rheumatologist said she would let me switch to Armour thyroid instead of Levothyroxine.  I was on .75 Levo.

my primary refuses to do other tests other than TSH and will only prescribe Levothyroxin .

I wondered if there were any symptoms to expect as I change? 

Has anyone done this? Any symptoms?

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I switched from taking Synthroid (Levo) for several years to Armour just recently. I'm not worse put it that way.  Why can't your Rheumatologist continue to prescribe it then?  As far as your primary, remember you don't work for her, she works for you. Move on to a doctor that wants to work with you as a partner in your health goals.       

I don't go back to my Endocrinologist for a little while. Prior to swithching I still had practically all the Hypo symptoms and still do.  My biggest complaint is that my fatigue is great. I am 50 years old just hit menapause so the Endocrenologist suggested I check into HRT therapy (since lack of hormones can put extra drain causing more fatigue). Waiting to hear from my primary doctor or ob-gyn on this decision. 

I currently take 60 mg of Armour NDT or 1 grain wanted to increase this but my Endo dr said I can't yet since doing this on own can cause heart issues etc. Soon I should get more blood work and see if I need to increase Armour or not. 

I don't regret changing I think I will do better on Armour.  I've had no weight gain on it. Lost a few. From what I've read it's great. There was a Walter Reed Study on it also in 2013. Most people who took part actually thought that Armour was better and would choose to take it.  Lost a tiny bit of weight. It's also suppose to be a more sound product compared to Synthroid which had recalls in the past. Per article, but like anything you have to research it yourself and make your own medical decision. 

Good Luck with your Armoursmile

Brenda

• Posted

Thanks Brenda. 

Rheumy put me on Armour.  My primary is one who won't test anything except TSH and only Levo.

ive lost 20 lbs. but due to strict diet, antiinflammatory diet. I'm 5'5" 120 lbs now.

but I'm so tired... Could be Polymyalgia, but lately wondering about thyroid.

rheumy said I could take 60, but when I did I had trouble getting to sleep. Not sure if that was coincidence or thyroid.

i posted another question about this, others suggested taking at night...but not sure about the empty stomach thing.

im due for blood test next month. Will see.

• Posted

Thyroid meds need to be taken on an empty stomach as food affects the absorption. So either take in morning an hour before breakfast or at night at least 4 hours after food.
  • Posted

I just wanted to add something regarding absorption of thyroid medication. I've read a few things things that stated if you take Calcium. Take it atleast 4 hours before or after your thyroid medication or else it will not absorb properly. 

My doctor says take only with water. Nothing else to drink/eat for atleast 45 minute before eating or drinking. 

• Posted

Dear Layne TX,

I was just recently (last week switched to Armour Thyroid 60 mgs a day from being on Levo for years then true Synthroid for several months, I was taking 250 mcg of levo then the same for synthroid so I wish I could tell you what to expect and how good it was but I am at the same place you are.  I am hypothyroid now but was originally hyperthyroid and my doctor always tests my TSH and T4 when I am checked. Last week when I was checked my TSH came back at and amazing high of 100 regardless of the meds I was taking, he said the only thing he could think of that was happening was that my body had developed a T3 antibody that was attacking the T4  in the meds I was taking thus canceling all I was doing to feel better.  I will tell you that my doctor said that I should experience a drastic weight loss and an very large boost in my energy level but that remains to be seen.  BTW... I only weigh 141 lbs, which is high for me so I am definately looking forward to the weight loss.  Let me know how you are doing with the Armour Thyroid and I will do the same for you.  Best of Luck - wish I could be of more help.

• Posted

Does anyone know the equivalent doses between armour and levo? The reason I'm asking is that I thought 60mg (1 grain?) of armour was equivalent to a lot less than 250mcg of levothyroxine. When prescribing another NDT (NatureThroid) my endo said 2.5 grains was equivalent to 175mcg levothyroxine. If this information is correct, then you seem to be on too low a dose?? When switching to NDT, one is supposed to start at a low dose and slowly increase, so maybe this is what your endo is doing.
    • Posted

Also read up on 'reverse T3' and adrenal gland disorders.
    • Posted

I agree with that Jean but the "effect" of 1 grain of Armour, which is the same as 60 mg, is about equivalent of 100 mcgs of Levo. Perhaps because you need 100 mcgs Levo to deliver 38 (unkown units) to the blood serum - pure speculation.

So if sdison has dropped from 250mcg Levo to 1 grain of Armour then she is grossly undermedicated. (like more than one half).

• Posted

Hi Sdison, You used to take 250mcg of Levo. Your 60mgs of Armour is the equivalent of 100 mcgs of Levo. Your doc just halved your dose!, no wonder your TSH is 100, your body is crying out for T4. 

I would tell him to fix this problem first before you complicate the issue with what your antibodies might be doing. You will not lose any weight until your T3 is in the upper half of it's range, you will be putting weight on while you are hypothyridic, i.e. very low T4 and resulting very high TSH.

• Posted

On my NatureThroid bottle, the pharmacist has typed: 'each 0.5 grain contains 19 mcg of T4 and 4.5 mcg of T3'. So the units in question are 'mcg'.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara,

Yes, there is a second equivalence, with which I am not familiar  and I think it is different between Armour and Nature Thyroid and the other NDTs. When I have a minute I will pull it all together.

I just know that when I switched from Levo to Armour the one grain of Armour was said to be 60mg T4 and the equivalent of 100mcg Levo. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.