Has anyone taken anti depressants with ME

Posted , 8 users are following.

Iv had ME for 7 years, i have developed depression and not sure about anything anymore if i hsve depression or just ME i sertraline for 9weeks and it brought on more of the ME i was feeling very unwell and extremely low mood, my mood was never an issue just bad short term memory and cognitive function like i have dementia, i stopped taking them and i feel much better but im getting confused as to weather i have a mixture of depression and ME or just Depression.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had ME to varying degrees for nearly 30 years. Also had several bad bouts of depression & anxiety throughout my life. I've been on several different antidepressants at different times. For the last 6 years been on mirtazapine and venlafaxine. After such a long time of experience, I can usually differentiate between what is caused by the ME and what is depression, although one thing can set off the other. Interestingly, in recent months I tried reducing the mirtazapine, and the withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps and muscle spasms) exacerbated the ME to such a degree that I've had to go back on the full dose. I don't know if that helps you, but I can reassure you that antidepressants can help, provided you can find the best one for you.
  • Posted

I'm on anti-depressants and they are definately helping me.  My M.E. mood swings are terrible!  I become snappy, anti-everyone and suicidual.  They changed my anti-depressants earlier this year because the one I was on wasn't usual for M.E. sufferers.  I had to go through all of the above mentioned thoughts and symptoms (and my family had to cope) until they had the dose of the new ones upto the dose I need.  I'm now calm, it takes more for my kids to make me snap and no suicidual thoughts (even during the early hours when I can't sleep which was my worse time).  However, I have lost the feel of great joy and happiness.  My feelings are more gentle flowing in the middle.  So yes, I've lost the great happiness but I'll take losing that against the monumental modd swings and unhappiness!

I take Sertaline 200mg per day. We did start off at a lower dose but that didn't work for me.

I always say if you start taking antidepressants you don't have to always be on them.  Maybe you need them only for a couple of months or a year? Maybe you can be on a very low dose? My family would definately like me to stay on them and I like not having the mad swings of moods with no warning. x

• Posted

Hi Julie I've tried different antidepressants over the yrs I've relapsed since Han of this year and cry 24/7 just feel list nothing means anything to me get scared no concentration but I will be starting on sertaline on Monday been on them before yes ago but my go is going to try them again struggling real bad everyday x
    • Posted

Sertaline is making the difference for me.  I think I was started at 50mg morn and night but I was snappy and couldn't understand my emotions.  If I hurt other peoples emotions I just thought they had to get over it.  The suicidal had come back if I was unable to sleep, crying and feeling very alone.  Once I asked for a higher dose, now 100mg morn and nit I am so much calmer.  It takes more for me to snap, I think not to say things which will hurt others.  Best of all no suicidual thoughts and I can smile.

Hope the med helps but if not, think should I try a bit higher dose, it worked for me xx

• Posted

Thanks Julie I'm just not coping with the head pain and pressure in my head nothing feels right to me feel alone and I have a good family but have really upset everyone and they r so worried for me x
    • Posted

I seem to be getting very uptight with various things and people lately, so my husband tells me, and I'm sure he's right!  frown I can't exactly say I feel depressed but I know something is definitely wrong.

Apart from the CFS, I'm in pain most of the time with my back (from 1968 worsening to being chronic currently.  No medical reason has been found with MRI scans, xrays etc).  So I've just put the bad temper down to the continued pain.  I take 20mg morphine plus 5ml liquid morphine when needed inbetween the tabs daily but still not much relief.  Take up to 8 paracetamol daily as well.  I'm also on long term antibiotics for recurring cystitis!

My doctor prescribed 50mg daily of this Sertraline anti-depressants but it's still in the drawer unused.  I'm scared of taking it in case I feel worse than I already have, recently feeling sick and dizzy and off food with bouts of diarrhoea.  I also have IBS.  I'm only just getting my appetite back and feeling a bit more normal-like!

Has anyone taking Setraline had bad side effects?  Would anyone recommend I try it?

• Posted

Whatever you do, don't get stressed about labels. I had depression shortly after onset of ME, and my doctor said it's what the disease does to the brain. Also, of course, as with any major illness, you can get depressed because it's hard to deal with being ill. But if you're better without antidepressants, what more is there to know? You don't want to be on any meds you don't need.
    • Posted

The side effects were so bad i thought they were going to kill me, im back into balance again but my doctor is still not treating the ME and keep telling me to take anti depressants its crazy why im not being. Treated for me giving someone more drugs and no other help is dreadful.
    • Posted

There is no medically recognized treatment for ME. From my experience, the best you can do is lead a healthy lifestyle, to give your body the best chance to recuperate. That means healthy eating with no sugar or caffeine, as close to a good night's sleep as you can get, and maintaining calm. I'm practicing meditation/mindfulness to cope with stress. Deep breathing, listening to music...to whatever it takes to de-stress.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy

I'm not sure whether I am any help to you but I have had ME off and on for nearly 3 years now.

It took until recently to really take it in and accept it.

My cousin who us now recovered from ME suggested I take Sertraline so I have given it a go.

Two things she warned me of : one was take it early in the morning, not sure why, and two was start on 25 mg and move onto 50mg after you feel comfortable with taking 25mg as you may experience nausea. Don't take any greater dose than 50mg because it starts to behave like an antidepressant. I'm not taking it for that reason.

I just want to get my mind and body back in sync....

I've been on them nearly 3 weeks and today, I feel a 10 usually I feel anything from a 3 to an 8 depending on what I have been doing!!

I also read that recovering from ME is all about doing things in the right order, that is, getting your neevous system calm first ( meditation) , diet and sleep, and so on...

Last night I tackled the breathing techniques I 'd read about, before bed and I got to sleep within half an hour so that was fantastic. I don't remember tossing and turning all night, and, I only woke up because the dog was spooked !!! I let him out for a wee and back to sleep I went!!!

It's such a big learning curve this ME !!!!

I wish you luck and hope Zo have been able to help you in some small way.

regards

Jinny

• Posted

Yes i agree with you im going to do it with a herbalist now.
    • Posted

hi Kathy

Good luck and post how you're getting along ! I'm interested xx

• Posted

I had both, remember that Depression can occur because you get so fed up with ME. What worked for me was Citalopram

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.