Has anyone taken CQ10?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with a mild heart condition. I was given Amlodipine 5mg at the hospital without my consent. When I went to the Cardiologist, I told him I wanted off the Amlodipine, I was told once you are on it, you are on it for life. I disagree. So far I have the side effects that I have read on this site.

I know that CQ10, is a natural for lowering BP. I started taking it with the Amlodipine, Dr said it would be ok. Now I want to completely drop the Amlodipine AMA.

I know CQ10 works, My husband had cronic HBP and was on amlodipine. He began taking CQ10 and his BP dropped and was taken off Amlodipine.

My BP is low 120's / 30's pre stage.

If I go off should I take less and less of the Amlodipine, until I am completely off. Has anyone else taken themselves off of this medication for a natural vitamin medication? Or just taken themselfs off

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I felt poorly with the bad side effects from taking Amlodipine 5 mg for HBP for years then as a last resort stopped it straight away and went on extra strength Ubiquinol 200mg for cardiovascular health an active form of Co Q 10 and I feel so much better. I will never stop this supplement.

It works for me my BP is down now .

• Posted

Hi Carole,

I would suggest to talk to with another doctor/cardiologist, as you explained you have a mild heart condition. There are many other blood pressure and heart medications with lesser side effects and all depend on your heart condition as well. Your blood pressure is 120 to 130 (systolic-first digits) which is not bad at all.

Regarding Coenzyme Q-10 supplements, many people experienced positive results with it, especially Ubiquinol version which is much better quality and better working co-q10 cleaner version of this supplement. Ubiquinol is slightly more expensive. From my own experience with both versions of this supplements i have a mixed feelings, i am very sensitive to medications and in both cases, it rather caused bad side effects like a tension headaches, migraines, nausea and loss of appetite, so i stopped to taking them, but that's just me and very few other sensitive people.

I have positive experience with Magnesium Glycinate which is not only helping to lower my blood pressure, but also helps me calm and have better sleep. Also many people have positive experience with 100% beet root juice or garlic extract.

Regarding to Amlodipine withdrawal, i was on Amlodipine 10mg for 3 years and under my doctor supervision i slowly weaned off from amlodipine, i drop from 10mg to 7.5mg for a while, then to 5mg and last to 2.5mg, over all it took 2 months to weaned off, during this time i have to keep constantly checking any blood pressure changes and finally when i was completely off of Amlodipine it took more than 3 months to get rid off of all horrible side effects. Like i said i was on them for 3 years and i can't or my GP risk to stop amlodipine treatment abruptly. Also my blood pressure in extremities was 190/110, therefore we were careful,while i was treated on other bp medication. But that just me, some of us are more sensitive than others.

Also Amlodipine needs some time to adjust body and system which may take anything from two weeks to a month, after that time side effects should lessen or completely subside, if they don't, talk to your doctor and ask for medication change. Wish You all the best. 🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.