Has anyone taking an extra pill to lower blood pressure?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know it's not recommend but sometimes what you take for whatever reason that day is not working. I've been on hbp for 20 years. Lately it's high and won't come down even with my one pill a day meds. Just before it gets out of hand I want to take one more to see if it will help. The last 24 hrs has averaged 145/96 but today I can feel it in my head and arms so I Checked it and it's 164-111

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you have axiety more frequent, ask your doctor for the 24 hour urine adreneline test. maybe the source of the problem is too much adreneline being produced during stressful/fightor flight situation.
  • Posted

If you have anxiety more frequent, ask your doctor for the 24 hour urine adreneline test. maybe the source of the problem is too much adreneline being produced during stressful/fightor flight situation.
  • Posted

jessemo15...I would NOT recommend what you're doing..not at all. BP meds are meant to be taken 1xdaily unless your doctor tells you otherwise. 

You said the last 24 hrs averaged 145/96..which isn't horrible, but could be better...then you said it's 164/111..which isn't good at all. I do wonder at the last reading though. Are you becoming anxious when taking the readings? If so, this can elevate the numbers.

Truly, I think you should consult your doctor. He/she may need to adjust your medication.

• Posted

Thanks I didn't but I hate that it stays high. I'm going to ER at 6am when I'm off work.

• Posted

jessemo15..good idea to go to the ER..but if it's the same there as it is here in my City., the ER medical staff will take your bp..ask you questions, probably run a CBC., & go from there. If the bloodwork comes back normal, they'll tell you to see your family doctor. 

• Posted

Exactly just left. No blood work. Questions , told me they couldn't do anything there. See my doctor. My doctor closed til Monday.

• Posted

I'm not surprised they couldnt' do anything for you there. Did they take a bp reading? Likely, it wasn't high enough for them to intervene,& they don't intervene unless the numbers are high to the point of being scary. Quite frankly, I'm surprised you were seen & sent home so quickly. In the meantime, while your doctor may not be available until Monday...try your best not to stress over this. First thing Monday morning, call the doc's office. Enjoy the weekend!

• Posted

Yes. I found that my pill was not lasting through the day so I but my pill and took half in morning and half in evening. Sometimes i would take an extra half .always low podium and healthy eating
  • Posted

Yes. I found that my pill was not lasting through the day so I but my pill and took half in morning and half in evening. Sometimes i would take an extra half .always low podium and healthy eating
  • Posted

Hi Jesse

My BP is regularily high even on medicaion, I'm working on meditation, exercise and I have started taking Hawthorn Root extract and drinking Beet Juice all of these seem to be helping me to level out, but definately never be afraid to ask questions to your Doctor, it's your body

• Posted

Thank you . I drink hibiscus tea to soothe me but I will look into Hawthorn anything that would help along with my breathing meditation n exercise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.