Has anyone tried Betmiga,antichlogernics unsuitable for me

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have taken Oxybutiin Vesicare and Tropsium all with bad side effects, the latter seems to have affected by eyesight badly my glasses don't seem to me 'mine' anymore! Also memory problems. Have been told to go back to Dr. and ask for Betmiga it is a different class of meds and may suit me better but don't know anyone who has taken it. Any help would be useful.  Thanks.Pat

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

Thanks for update. Sorry to hear problem returned.  I don't think the meds actually cure anything just help things along.  I Have spoken to myDr.re Betmiga and they are sceptical because it is a new drug still under review. I have to have a ECG and go on a blood pressure monitor for 2 weeks before they will think about it. It could be because I have only 1 kidney and we don't want to upset that!

I have had to change my glasses for reading and also distance and the optician was pretty sure it was caused by the drugs. A very expensive outcome!

Good luck . Keep me posted.

Pat.

• Posted

Hi Pat, Betmiga has been approved by NICE, but it is very expensive, compared to the other drugs because it is new.  I had to go to the Urology department at my local hospital and it was only because the Consultant Urologist said I should try it that my GP let me have it.

The fact that you only have one kidney could be a factor though, not sure about that one.

Last year, I googled medication for overactive bladder and that's when I came across Mirabegron (Betmiga) and saw the good reviews it had got in the States, and that it had only recently been approved by NICE in April.  There was quite a bit of info online about the drug though, it's just ploughing through it all and you can get blinded by science if you are anything like me.

Spectacles are very expensive, especially if you have varifocals like me.  What happens if you get new medication and your eyes aren't affected any more, is it more new glasses?

Good luck with everything.  I think incontinence is so soul destroying, so I hope you can find a solution that suits you.

Marie xx

• Posted

Hi Pat, I have a thought, do you have anything else wrong, like hypothyroidism or any hormone related condition?  Hormones are so difficult to regulate.

I have hypthyroidism and I am wondering if there is any chance I could have mild diabetes insipidus, so I looked to see if there are any natural anti-diuretics, and there are a couple I may try very carefully, it is just that several years ago I was prescribed desmopressin spray for occasional use and when I used that it did help the problem, but after it wore off, I could pee for England.  I have posted the question on another forum and will see if I get any advice, knowledge or ideas that may help, as my GP is not really taking onboard that when I was initially tested my TSH and thyroid hormones were low, indicating a possible problem with the pituitary.  As far as I am aware, no further tests were done to see if any other pituitary hormones were deficient and I was just prescribed thyroxine to replace the thyroid hormones. I believe it was around about that time that I started having my incontinence symptoms, too. I am sure that because I had been prescribed thyroxine or levothyroxine by the previous surgery, my GP hasn't looked back that far, especially as I have changed surgeries several times since the initial diagnosis.  Doctors, what can we do?

Marie

• Posted

Hello Marie,

Just caught up again. Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have any other problems, except now I may have to have treatment for high blood pressure, and still haven't got the Betmiga!  I am waiting to hear from my Dr. re blood pessure meds, because I have to be careful what they give me!  If i get to take the Betmiga I would rather wait and see if blood pressure meds suit before taking anything else or I wouldn't know which was causing any side effects I might have! This is a complicated affair don't you think!!  My problems seem fairly trivial when I read some peoples sufferings, nevertheless it is awful to have sudden urgency and I would love a cure!

Thanks again. Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat, I would love a cure too! One of my granddaughters has been diagnosed with myotonic dystrophy and I now have an appointment to have genetic counselling to see if I may have it too.  Urinary incontinence can be one of symptoms and I have several other problems which may be down to that.

Still haven't got back to how I was before I stopped taking the Betmiga!

Good luck with your health problems.

Marie

• Posted

hi marie my name is debbie. if possible i'd like to ask a few questions regarding as i have also taken betmiga. I have reported it throught the yellow card. however i have been looked at as mad! look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie 

• Posted

hi pat i have taken betmiga and its made my life terrible. I did take vesicare which only left me with dry mouth was that a syptom for you? when you talk about your eyesight do you have pressure on your eyes? would be great to speak or ask a few more questions. Debbies
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I have ony been on Betmiga for 6 weeks and so far no problems. Vesicare worked well but gave a dry mouth also memory problems. Other meds.of the same sort particulry tropsium upset my eyesight so no more of that. If I don't have pressure in my eyes it just changed my vision and seemingly now it as worsened my cataract so that has got to come off at some point.

If the Betmiga causes problems I think I wll be out of luck as I have tried most things now.

Good luck

Pat

• Posted

hi pat

Do keep me updated on how you are getting on with the betmiga!

All the best

bebbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Will have been on Betmiga for 2 months next week . I am due to go back to Dr. for blood pressure check and to see how things are going. They are helping quite a bit and so far no real side effects. It took a while with some of the other meds I took to show up problems so I am taking it day by day.

Thanks for your good wishes

Pat

• Posted

I was on Betmiga for a week prior to having Botox in the bladder which has been the best thing so far. In one week my eyesight went from being minus .25 to plus .25. My optometrist was shocked. Blurred vision is said to be one of Betmiga's side FX. I think after what has happened to my eyesight, that it is a dangerous drug and I will never ever take it ever again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.