Has anyone tried cornstarch for LS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had LS for a year and half.  Have been using the Clobetasol cream daily and it doesn't do much except maybe keep it at bay a little.  Recently I tried using cornstarch with a powder puff (!) and it keeps the area dry and much more comfortable.  Just wondering if anyone else had tried this?  I can't imagine using honey or anything wet.  Thanks for help.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think this is an old fashion chefs trick. I'm willing to try anything as I live in Dubai where it's hot hot hot 47 today
    • Posted

Hi Justine, after you try it, please let me know if it helps.  I apply it several times a day....to keep the area as dry as possible.
  • Posted

Daily for a year and a half is more frequent and for a lot longer than most of us are instructed. Your doctor OK'd this?

Cornstarch sounds like a good, scent-free way to combat sweat.

• Posted

I followed doctor's instructions for applying cream.  But if I stop using it, it gets worse.  I've been back once to doctor and he did a biopsy that confirmed LS.  Took forever for that to heal!   Doesn't sound like it will ever go away!  I haven't asked about cornstarch either...but it is definitely much better since I've started using it...about 10 days now.
  • Posted

If your are still in flare up and not under control you could try protopic that's what I did. I'm not on it now but it got it under control for me x
    • Posted

I can buy it here over the counter but in most countries its prescription. It's an anti immune drug. So it's stops your body attacking itself.
    • Posted

After 18 months of Clobetasol my gynaecologist wasn't satisfied with my progress and switched me to Protopic (brand name of tacrolimus). It's been about six months now and I think it really has been better for me. I've actually had two adhesions along my perineum release, so that my vaginal opening is not as tight as it was. It's definitely a prescription drug most places and at least twice as expensive as clobetasol, but spread over so many months it's not a big deal (and I'm retired on a showstring). I was disturbed to find out she hesitates to prescribe it, precisely because it's more costly. Her patients are mostly rural and she errs on the side of fiscal caution.
  • Posted

Good for you,  I'm a big fan of keeping things clean, dry and lubricated all at the same time.it takes some work though!    I just use normal talc as I cant risk using cornstarch as it contains sulfites (preservatives) and knowing my luck  it would get in my Vjay and make me ill lol!  but for most people I would imagine it would be fine, and if it works for you great!
    • Posted

I never thought about sulfites in the cornstarch.  I should probably call my gyneocologist...and see what he says.  I guess talc might be safer.  Thanks for writing.
    • Posted

You should be fine, sulfite intolerance is quite rare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.