Has anyone tried diuretics for migraines?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Since I started taking prescribed diuretics for border line blood pressure my migraines have ceased. It might be worth speaking to your GP about it.

Best wishes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Interesting. I am wondering if sodium levels may be a trigger. I get the dizziness with or without the headache. I had one yesterday and today I noticed my under eyes were swollen. Hmmmm. I'm going to start tracking my salt intake and see if there's a connection. I still don't think I'm drinking enough water either. It could be something this simple, especially considering the dizziness factor. Salt affects our equilibrium. Best to all.
    • Posted

Hi Patricia,

Yes I think you are right. I read that diuretics reduce electrolytes and sodium and other components that neurons need to transmit messages including pain.

I used to get 3 or 4 a month lasting up t 4 days each. I don't get that many in a year now. I do know that if I eat garlic and pasta in the evening I can look forward to a headache the next day. Before this would trigger a full on migraine attack.

When I had migraines before I couldn't function at all, had to stay in bed. I had terrible sickness and it affected my vision.

I take bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg daily, for me they prevent migraines they don't cure a migraine attack.

Good luck, I hope you find your solution. x

• Posted

I actually have a comorbid condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) aka Pseudotumor Cerebri. The condition can mimic the symptoms of a brain tumor, however all scans come up clear, no tumors.

The condition is essentially built around the fact that inside your skull is a closed space, and there is only so much room for the contents of one's skull (brain, blood, and cerebrospinal fluid or CSF) For an unknown reason the brain either 1. Makes too much CSF or 2. Does not drain CSF like it should but the brain still continues to make more CSF. Since there is no additional room to give in one's skull in increases the intracranial pressure and can cause damage to the optic nerves causing blindness or vision loss.

I have this and it causes headaches, neck and back pain, eye pain etc. It is diagnosed with a Lumbar Puncture aka Spinal Tap and they use an insturment to measure the pressure. Normal pressure is typically between 15-20. Anything over 25 is high. It is treated with diuretics, specifically acetazolamide sp? Brand name is Diamox.

In my case my eye doctor noticed the swelling in my optic nerve and wrote a letter to my neuro who ordered the test.

I still have pain, the headaches are treated like migraine. The diamox lowers the pressure which caused me a different headache. I describe that pressure headache as someone with the heel of a boot standing on the back of my head. If you have questions message me privately and I will gladly give my email for further discussions.

Jennifer

• Posted

Hi jennilee,

Apologies for not acknowledging your post sooner.

I'm so sorry that you have this debilitating condition that I had never heard of before. It's interesting that you are taking diuretics to relieve the pressure which is precisely what I assumed they were doing for me in preventing my migraines.

I get neck and back aches all the time but when I get a migraines it's always on the top if my head to the right. I don't get them so often any more but I've seen me bedridden for four and sometimes five days with them.

You mentioned that your condition was spotted a swelling in the optic nerve.I have recently visited an optician and assume that this would have been picked up if I had the same as you, or perhaps not?

I don't get that feeling that you have at the back of the head like someone standing on you, sounds horrid. My vision does get impaired when I get a migraine though.

• Posted

Sorry about that, must have hit the reply tab early.

I think my migraines are more or less under control now however, I do need to avoid certain foods just in case.

I do wish you well and hope your condition improves. Migraine headaches are so debilitating and I do empathize with you.

Best wishes

Take care

Cherr

• Posted

Interesting,  When I had MRI's and other tests done they noted an abnormal but non threatening build up of fuild in my head they said similar things and told me its nothing to worry about and completely normal for some people to have more fluid.  They did not mention it could be a possible cuase or trigger for migraines.  This will give me something new to explore.  Thanks for your post!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.