Has anyone tried donating blood to reduce BP.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been doing a little research and I saw that donating blood could reduce your bp up to 10 units. I haven't tried it but I'm considering it. I wanted to know if there's any of you that have any experiences with it (Good or Bad). Thank you.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Will they take you blood if you are on any medications?

Perhaps you need an old fashioned barbers shop:-)

• Posted

Medications for high blood pressure do not disqualify you from donating. BP has to be below 180/100 at the time of donation.
  • Posted

Would it make that much difference to your meds or bp numbers by dropping it 10 units,

Exercise makes a huge difference if you can do that.

I'm now down to good low figures, just taken it and 117/76 and second time

114/74 and I'm sure it's from weight loss and exercise or does that just prove my Dr right and mine was white coat syndrome, hope I never have to go back up to find out LOL how high is yours

• Posted

I'm trying to lose weight as well. I have to lose 20lbs until I'm within my BMI. One deterrent is that when my BP is too high I'm afraid to exercise. Scared of a heart attack or stroke.
    • Posted

I think it depends on your numbers whether you should exercise or not but more importantly is whether your gp says you can exercise, if he says yes than start slowly and build up, your more likely to be at risk of a stroke or ha by not exercising I think but don't quote me on that as I didn't start to exercise till 18 weeks ago and that was a real shock to the system as I had been an excercise phobic all my life because like you I thought I would die, have you told your Dr how you feel
    • Posted

I've always been told to exercise but that was when my BP was lower. Now I've been getting 160/100 readings more often and a couple of times my systolic has been 180 or in the 202. But I will be going in for an appt soon so I will address the exercise concerns then. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    • Posted

Your welcome, I know what it's like to be consumed by the bp numbers, are these home readings or gp .

My other halves readings at the gym when we started were way higher than yours but they still started him and that was a gp referral, he is on meds for bp and still is bit now his is constantly lower.

We have someone at the gym who does heart smart so they kept an eye on him but he's so Mich better now so I'm sure you will still be good to go.

Mine was 165/94 and pulse was 167 when I first went, my anxiety was through the roof.

Are you on bp meds.

• Posted

When I was going to cardio rehab they let me exercise when my systolic was 190.
    • Posted

To me cardio rehab was really a waste of time. I could already do more than the others there and the exercises were very light.They kept on telling me to slow down.The time allowed on the various equipments was not enough.

The question is does exercise bring my BP down. It always is after but it does drop anyway as the day goes on 

Yesterday 174/71 67 at 9am

131/69 76 at 12.38

114/71 67 at 21.56

I forgot to check it after having been out for three hours in the afternoon. The lowest this month was 91/50 62 but it has been much lower. Walking in the park, shopping in supermarket and returning my 7 day ECG monitor to the hospital! 

• Posted

Hi no No. Meds was considering putting me on them but my Dr realised it was only high when I was stressed,highest was 171/98 pulse 165scared the life out of me but white coat syndrome can do that,
    • Posted

Hi,

My BP was 130/100 it was then i rushed to hospital and at doctor it was 150/100. Doctor asked me to start medicine. 

Another doctor suggested me to chnage life style and start reducing weight.

But after two days if dont take medicine i was feeling vomiting sensation and dizziness.

So i have started medicine. i didnt loos weight and now on medication bp is 130/89, 139/92, 125/85 at clinic. 

Is my BP too high becz it is not under nromal range even after taking medicine.

I need to start exercizing. I am 20 KGS above my ideal weight.

What do you suggest. I dont have other health problems. I eat a lot of spicy and salty food.

• Posted

Hi Raju as yoy can see that s thread is quite old but obviously still relevant to some, your bp is OK now but it would be so much better if you could lose that extra 4 stone, that and cutting out the salt could possibly bring it down and make it not so essential to take medication, spices are not the problem its the salt so why do you use so much salt if you use spices, also how old are you and how much do you weigh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.