Has anyone tried lying on the floor after a TKR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi .. love this site so helpful smile I have a slight twist at the base of my spine and suffer with alot of backaches and in the past I always would spend time lying on the floor watching tele and arching my back and that controlled my pain.  I'm now 10mths post op and haven't been game enough to get down on the floor thinking I won't be able to get up as I only have a 110% ROM and due to a truck accident my left knee is waiting for a TKR also.  I did have a fall 3 days after I got home from hospital tripped over the darn crutches first time I was left alone .. and landed right on my operated knee thankfully no damage put readmitted to hopital for 5 days for observation.  Would love to hear if others with roughly the same ROM are able to get up and down off the floor with no help?  Thank you .. Cheers Tracey smile

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Can you sit by a chair or something to help you get up off the floor?
    • Posted

Have thought of that but I suppose after my fall and moving to something to get up after my op and couldn't do it .. I lay there bleeding with all the stitches below my knee cap open and blood everywhere on our new light coloured carpet.  Took 50mins for me lying there waiting for hubby to return home from picking up our grand daughter from school.  I'm no lightweight and I couldn't help him it all... I suppose it's made me very hesitant .. but if others can do it I'll give it a try but my first attempt I think I'll feel better if someones home to help if I need it. 

• Posted

I am about 16 weeks po. I lie on the floor sometime to do my exercises,  it is hard to get up,  I usually get up with a pillow by my sofa or bed to put my knee or knees on, i put most of my weight on my arms and can sometime get up on all fours. I am having my second knee done in a couple of weeks
  • Posted

Hey tijim , I've had 2 TKR JUNE SEPT 2014 YES I CAN GET UP OFF THE FLOOR /Slowly and carefully / ALWAYS put a pillow or pad under your knee when getting up / you knee cap is not as thick as it used to be if you had similar surgery to what I had / they trim the inside of the knee cap to make room for prosthetic so it's weaker, don't put your weight on it without a pad. Good luck Dave

• Posted

Tracey, I have a funny story that happened a few months after my bilateral TKR. I was trying to reach something in a kitchen cupboard that was below the counter. Of course, the item was so far back that I couldn't just reach it by bending over. So I gracefully laid down and inched my way back to it. I was so proud of myself when I got it, until I realized I needed to get up! I couldn't put any weight on my knees without pain and I just didn't have enough upper body strength to pull myself up from that angle. I contemplated laying there until my housemate returned, but I really had no idea when that would be and I needed to get to the bathroom. I went from a place of fear to laughing myself silly. I finally laid on my stomach, curled my toes under, leaving substantial space betwen my feet, put my arms into a push up sort of position and sorta walked my body intoa  downward dog yoga position until I could get up. Yep, my rear was sticking right out there, but luckily no one was there to witness it. There was nothing pretty about it, but it gave me a great sense of accomplishment and I realized I could now get on the floor and know I could get back up. I have a back stretcher thing that I lay on on the floor, so it was good to be able to use it. You've got this.

-Mo

• Posted

Thanks everyone .. going to give it a try this weekend when hubby's home so I feel more confident... thanks for the tip about using a pillow to rest on as my knee is still in alot of pain sad

Cheers Tracey x

• Posted

Tracy

I too spent a great deal of time doing floor work before my TKR. I had both my knees done at the same time. I am Six months post op and i told my home PT when i was about two months that i wanted to work out on the floor she said "i dont think you will be able to get up" but i wanted to try, so while she watched i got down on the floor on my mat showed my exercises and she was floored, then she said lets see you get up. And i did really easy. Since that day i have been on the floor. So make sure someone is there to help you have a chair or your couch near by and go for it .You can do it.thank and good luck Montana

• Posted

Dear Tracey

I am after 2 TKRs, the last one was 10 weeks ago, I will need revision for the first one done 2 years ago. I attend  a gym and I am very vain, nearly 70 years old but would like to appear  in movement , not the looks as 20 years old.

I get up in the gym in a similar way as Mo described, lying on my tummy, lifting myself on my forarms, and the toes at the same time, lifting the um upwards then “walking my feet”  towards the arms/hands. It looks terrible, but it works.

Once I was sitting on the  shelf placed on the bath, taking the shower and unfortunately the shelf gave way somehow and I have fallen into the bath. The taxi was coming for me in 30 minutes, I was alone in a house, no telephone nearby, besides I was star naked (not a pretty sight), so I could not yell for any of the neighbours. I got out in a very similar way as described above.Things which we need to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think that doing exercises to strengthen my arms, bum, anything is more vital the older you are.

Best wishes to all of you. Love to read your emails. Grace xxxxxxx

• Posted

Tracey, why don't you try doing it on the bed first? I know you won't get the resistance the floor would give, but it would be worth a go.  I had tkr in April and I can just manage to get down and back up from the floor. The time my knee is in contact with the floor is a second or two. I was very wary when I did it the 1st time but managed quite well. I've just been on the kitchen floor for my lovely hubby to give me a back massage. Have developed a scoliosis as 1 leg is longer than the other. The pain from that is worse than the knee was!!!   Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I am 7 weeks post TKR, and just started doing my PT exercises on the floor last week. My current ROM is 115. I was nervous about getting on the floor, so I asked my physical therapist to show me how to get up and down safely. After a few practices, I was confident I could do it. Since your other knee isn't in good shape, I'd ask a pro how you can do it safely...good luck!

• Posted

I agree - great fear of getting down and unable to get up. I did find a YouTube demonstrating the "walking it up, butt high" method described by moandrieu. It works. Not graceful but it works. And once able to get on knees with a pillow, ( or in the sand at the beach -but that's another story) the push-up is easier. Just take your time.

• Posted

Melinda, here I thought I figured this out myself. I sure wish I'd seen it before. That is wonderful that there is a video to help give a visual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.