Has anyone tried magnesium for regularity?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Today I saw a dietitian for diverticulitis diet help.  One thing she recommended to avoid being constipated was magnesium taken at night.  It dissolves and you drink it before bed.  I am scared to try anything new.  Which is why I saw the dietitian in the first place- I am eating the same things over and over. But I also think I may be constipated as I keep having 2 day spans of not going.  Has anyone ever tried doing magnesium daily?  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have but not recently.  Just be careful.  You can get the reverse if you take too much.  I hope she told you the mg. you should take every night.  I take Miralax and it really helps me.  I take it every other day and I go great.  If you never heard of it ask others.Good Luck. You will be ok just keep yourself open and stay away from nuts, seeds and skins.  I also avoid raw veggies and hard to digest meats.  Use your crockpot.. it is a good answer to cooking foods so they are soft so they'll be easy to digest. Madeline

• Posted

We take calcium magnisium every night before bed. My Husband and I love it. It's all good for many reasons. If we take to much we've had direahea but thats not a bad thing. Also helps us to sleep better too.

• Posted

I was taking Calcium and vitamin D supplement, as im vegetarian, went to the doctor who did blood test to find out my calcium level were too high which can be dangerous, I thought I was doing myself some good but obviously I wasnt.
  • Posted

I use miralax daily and my doctor said that was ok. I’m going to start a probiotic too. I have also thought about going to a dietitian.  Did they help with a food list?  Also struggling with this. All I want is a cheeseburger and a huge pizza. 😢

• Posted

Pizza is my favorite food and what I really want too!  I also miss my salad!

I asked my Dr. about going to the dietitian and he set it up for me.  I was worried I was not eating enough of the right foods.  It was worth going for me for peace of mind and ideas.  I was doing most things right which was really from this forum and the help from others.  She did suggest the magnesium before bed starting with the lowest dose and following the directions on the box.   I would also like a food list but there was not one.  She suggested adding one food at a time for several days and said there are different triggers for different people. The key is finding my trigger foods.  

Seems dangerous to me. Who wants to trigger an attack??  I know I need more fiber. I am seeing the lack of that.  But it is hard to know what to eat.  Adding whole wheat bread in the place of white bread was not suggested- for now adding a little spinach and kale and steaming it or stir frying vegetables was the emphasis.  

• Posted

What I can’t get to grips with is, do the foods that trigger a flare up affect you straight away or is it some days later? I take one aloe Vera tablet each night and I also take aloe Vera juice , this usually helps avoid constipation.
    • Posted

Good question. I look forward to a response from someone who knows.  Also I’m not sure when to add fiber. I’m on 2nd week of bland food. 
    • Posted

I think it varies.  For me I find I usually get pain the following day. I know of another poster who is affected more quickly, usually the same night.  I go straight onto 48 hours of fluids only and that usually sorts me out.  Sometimes if I have a little bit of the same food several days running, it can take longer to kick in.  In other words not a lot of help!!!!!!  I too take a daily Aloe Vera capsule.  I did take the pure juice for a few months and it helped, but the acidity affected my hiatus hernia, hence the switch to capsules.
  • Posted

Yes, I am taking magnesium tablets, as I've heard of the many benefits. Insofar as constipation, I believe that's what got me into DD in the first place. I was terrible about eating fiber and drinking water, and I think all the straining when having a bowel movement contributed to DD. My GI doc concurred. So now, I eat oatmeal for breakfast without fail, and drink at least 10-12 glasses of water each day. My constipation has disappeared. I thought everyone was suppose to have a BM every day so that the stools do not remain in the colon?

• Posted

HI, How many mg. of Magnesium do you take a day?  Also are they all magnesium as in some have calcium in them too which does not work well for me.

I agree with you constant constipation even as a young child right through adolescent and pregnancies so I definitely feel that caused the DD. 

• Posted

I just heard about this yesterday from my DR only she said to take it in the AM.

Not sure it matters, but I am trying it for regularity also.  Good luck

• Posted

For anyone following this conversation I did try the magnesium at night.  That is what the directions for this brand said to do.  The dosage was 1/2 a teaspoon.  I took 1/4 teaspoon for two nights.  My husband did too. He slept all night.  I slept for one hour and then woke up.  I could not go back to sleep.  It did however do what the dietitian had wanted me to take it for.  I was surprised how much I went.  It worked well before I went to work without any stomach cramps.  I am not sure I want to attempt it again as it kept me awake.  It had great reviews for helping with sleep so it may be me.  But as far as being irregular for a couple of days this magnesium even at 1/4 teaspoon really did help with that.  I hope it will work for you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.