Has anyone tried propranolol for health anxiety??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, a friend has mentioned propranolol to me to help manage my health anxiety? I've tried sertraline & nortriptyline with no joy in the slightest...I've recently posted the symptoms I get most days but the tension headache/pressure is constant & apparently propranolol can help with this?? It can be taken every day or as & when (which suits me better)

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this before I ask my GP to allow me to try it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi i take propranolol 80mg twice a day,i think it helps me,i wake up feeling nervous,shakey,twitching a take one of those and it does help to calm me down along with the other meds im taking x
  • Posted

SERTRALINE  is an antiderpessnt with a anxiety agent in it , but that wont work till depresion is nuked  , you need a benzo to nuke anxiety , CBT  never worked for me  , but it did my daughter 
  • Posted

Hey there. Some medications work better for others. I was on Zoloft for a year and a half and gained a lot of weight so my doctor suggested I come off. He gave me Proponolol. I do not feel like these helped at all. I had such bad anxiety I could not leave the house. This went on for about a month. I then went back on Zoloft. And I am happy I did. I find Proponolol has a fast acting effect and is good to take as you need it. But since I have panic disorder I have anxiety 24x7 so Proponolol was not good for me.
  • Posted

Hii I have recently started propranolol and I think it has a calming effect. I suffer from very high palpitations and panic attacks. Since being on propranolol I feel that my palpitations has decreased, but the anxiety is still there. I am also on Xanax when I truely need it in case of severe panic attack. In short Propanolol has a calming effect, but no effect on panic attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.