Has anyone tried restorative yoga?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have read that this type of yoga can really help with anxiety, chronic illness, and peri (I have all three) and would love to hear about any related experiences and recommendations.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz

I can only speak alittle about yoga in that every time i take the time to breathe and let myself immerse into it, it has a calming effect. Im going in to my mind and body and thats i guess what its supposed to do. 

I dont do it enough though..it also works like therapy for many...you work through your problems when you work through yoga..

xoxo

• Posted

Hi Maui, I can see how it would be like therapy.  Have you learned on your own or did you take any classes?
  • Posted

I do hatha yoga and a bit restorative yoga and I feel it definitely helps relax me plus it helps with flexibility and strengthening your muscles. I also have CFS and yoga has helped me more than anything else I've tried. I always feel more relaxed and more energised after I've done it. It would definitely be worth a try. You could even start by doing a yoga niddra relaxation where you lie down in corpse position and listen to a relaxation which takes you round different parts of your body and you will notice which parts you are holding tension in and this will encourage you to release the tension and let your body properly relaxation. You might also find a guided meditation useful to listen to. There are loads of different ones on YouTube you could try. 

• Posted

Hi Elaine, thanks for reminding me about the "body scan"... I was taught the corpse pose technique that you describe years ago but had forgotten about it.  Do you work with an instructor or practice on your own?

• Posted

I used to go to a remedial yoga class (easier than normal yoga class for people with health conditions) and the yoga teacher wrote me my own routine I could do at home when I wasn't able to go to the class. I now just do that routine at home plus bits I've learnt from books. I find it easier this way as I can just do it when I feel like it rather than being restricted having to go to a class at a set time. 

• Posted

Hi there

​I basically just tried it myself but had no formal teaching, just my own thing. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.