Has anyone tried Silicol gel ?

Posted , 29 users are following.

Hi has anyone tried Silicol gel for acid indigestion and heartburn ?

I had read an article about it in a magazine a while ago and decided to try it as its supposed to have no side effects. It works by coating all your digestive system and absorbing any irritants. 

The reason for me trying it is i originally started with acid indigestion where it rises up your throat, this seemed to settle a bit but then i started getting bloating/feeling full after meals. Now it is a sore feeling/discomfort sometimes when i swallow, i can actually feel the food go down. I am constantly burping, which is something i learned to do after having trouble with pains in chest due to trapped wind. I also occasionally get sharp pains between shoulder blades. 

I am one of those people that reads the side effects of medication and has to decide if they would be worse that current problem. 

I tried to cope using Peptobismol and Gaviscon but after i found i had slightly raised blood calcium had to stop as they contain calcium. 

I did reluctantly try Omeprazole ? but on the 2nd day had visual disturbance eg flashing lights and distorted vision so stopped as hospital said it was possible side effect. 

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It is not the endoscopy that is the problem it is the enema they give you the day before.   It made me so sore and I was even still going when I was at the hospital.  It is too strong.

I am also taking omeprazole and wonder if it would clash?

Has anyone else got thoughts on this?  

This is the second time I have posted this, the first one never went anywhere.

• Posted

Hi Dixieb, just seen your message but cant find your previous one. My endoscopy was down the throat to look at stomach for acid damage, is your to look at the bowel ? I had the bowel one years ago and the not eating solid food was the worst for me, i was so hungry. I dont think you take the silicol with the laxatives they give you. 

Good luck with the investigations , Frances

• Posted

Yes it was the bowel.     I have typed this reply twice so will make short and sweet this time.

Horrible day and night before and on the day ok but the machine froze twice,  all well except I have diverticulitis.  

• Posted

Hi yes I have tried this product, I have been prescribed some medication for an illness which I have and they have slowed my digestion a lot making me feeling sickly with lots of trapped wind and my stomach is producing lots of acid leaving me with burning in my stomach and throat. As soon as I tried this liquid it calmed everything down and seems to have cured my constant flatulence I am really pleased with it. Its cheaper if you buy it from eBay you may be able to get it from your gp, I got mine from holland and Barrett at £18.99, eBay sells it for £26.99.

Give it a try it's really helps Good luck

• Posted

Hello, I have been using sillicol gel for over a year, I have been a long sufferer of IBS and feel as if I have suffered from Indigestion acid reflux all my life. I have Lansoprazole prescribed by my GP but have found that this by itself is not enough. Since taking sillicol gel I have found that it has been very effective for both keeping my IBS under control and particularly good at managing my acid reflux. I tend to take a dose when going to bed so not suffering from acid reflex during the night. When the sytoms are particularly bad will take three doses during the day. When I am having a very bad episode of acid feels like my stomach has turned into a volcano the sillicol gel calms it all down. i would not live without it now. (Also stopped the wind problem which was very embarrassing) Best place to buy is Amazon if you sign up to their subscription service you can buy for £12;50 saving £6 a time.

• Posted

Yes, I take this.  I refused PPIs and take Ranitidine 150mg twice daily.  The Silicol Gell I take if I get acid refluxing.  It is £18.99 H & B but they also have offers on buy one get one half price - so I stock up then.  They have even had it in the penny sale - buy one get one for a penny.  My doctor has never heard of it (not surprised!!).

• Posted

Before I go to bed I take my Ranitidine but instead of Silicol Gell which I will take during the day if needed, I now have mastic gum caps, they are brilliant and stop any acid comig up.  Much cheaper also.  Worth a go just to try.
  • Posted

I've also found silicol gel to be brilliant. I've been taking it for around 8 months and in that time my IBS symptoms have almost completely cleared up - when I started taking it I was in the middle of the worst flare-up I've ever had. It calmed things down in a few days although it took a few months to get to the point I'm at now, where I don't worry too much about what I'm eating and truly feel 'normal' again. I still also take omeprazole (now down to 20mg every two days) but that's it. I tolerate PPIs better that ranitidine, etc; the ranitidine causes me to bruise easily so I can't take it). After years of trying different treatments, that never worked, it's been quite a revelation. Expensive but more than worth it. I can't help feeling it could save the NHS a huge amount of money if it was available as a treatment from the GP. 

• Posted

Hi, 

just wondered if you could tell me when you take the silicol in comparison to when you eat. The bottle I bought to hopefully ease my IBS just says before meals which seems a bit vague. Thank you! 

• Posted

I take silicol gel first thing in the morning before breakfast and then just before I go to bed (after which I have a small bowl of porridge, because I've found that is also helpful). When I first started taking it, I also took it in the middle of the day before lunch or dinner, depending what time meals are, but I find twice a day is enough now. 

• Posted

Does this affect high blood pressure.

Second time of replying,  where do my replies go to?

• Posted

I can only answer this from my experience, I don't have a high blood pressure and it hasn't become any higher since taking silicol gel. 

• Posted

May be there is hope.    It sounds as if it is what i need to take.    Had this for years and it gets you down in the end
  • Posted

Thanks for the info regarding when to try taking it. I have only been diagnosed with IBS (and gallstones) for 5 months and am finding it is really getting me down. I am hoping silicol will help!
  • Posted

Hi 

I've been using Mastic gum capsules 

its natural, no side effects. It's wonderful.

Also find instant relief for IBS symptoms from peppermint oil.

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.