Has anyone tried sitz baths

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi , as anyone tried sitz baths ?. I spoke to a qualified herbalist about Ls ! And she said you won't get anywhere with Ls unless you do sitz baths !. I googled it and it is various ingredients placed in Muslim cloth , run hot water over ( not too hot ) sit in it for 15/30 mins and the ingredients soak deep into the tissue of your skin , heal and calm it down . Has anybody had any experiences of this ? Please share , Jackie .

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie,  when camping I bring a sitz bath.  In it a small amount of baking soda and some drops of tea tree oil.  I do better with a whole bath, since other parts of my body are sometimes affected by LS as well, and show extra when it is hot.  However, my sitzbath is the next best thing.

Would you be able to tell me what kind of herbs your herbalist suggests?

• Posted

hi , hanny , thank you for your reply , I will try that . When I spoke to the herbalist , she said she would have to go through a case study with me before she could tell me what herbs to use !. She said it would make my quality of life better but not cure it !. I looked more it to natural medicines and decided I wanted to try homeopathy !. It is very gentle and has no side effects !. Which was good as I always seem to suffer with them !. She as asked me to roughly jot down all my major events in life from birth to now . And make a note of all the medication I have taken from past to present !. She said on Monday when I see her she will be able to see if she can help . So will let you know how I go on and what she suggests ! Jackie
    • Posted

I want to keep trying things until I can find some thing that really works and even cures !. I know they say that it is incurable ! But there isn't any real money or research being done because it is not life threatening !. It is however getting more common and one day it will be cured . Until then it's about keeping it dormant !. If I don't get on with homeopathy I am trying herbs next ! But I have a good feeling about it ! .
    • Posted

Jackie,

Mine is basically dormant most of the time. I searched and searched and went thru a lot of trial and error until I got mine calmed and then healed and under control. I believe it is about getting your body in balance. I saw several doctors and they helped but no one had any real knowledge about LS. It came down to my own research, my own brain thinking, and utilizing the doctors as resources for a plan I developed.

Lisa

• Posted

I totally agree ! How long have you had yours ? And how old are you ?. You are lucky to have it dormant most of the time !. It is an horrible disease and I had never heard of it before . There has to be something that it doesn't like !. It is trial and error , I am finding that out . I think it is a whole body thing . I don't think it is as simple as one thing !. Any way we carnt give up ! I will keep chomping !. Are you in uk ? , JackieJackie
    • Posted

Jackie,

I am in the US. I was diagnosed November 2014. At that point I had suffered a year in silence with it full blown. I became bedridden for 3 months starting that November. Once I realized the diagnosis I understood that I had had other flare ups in the past over the years so I really don't know how long I've actually had it. But I remember flare ups here and there over the last 20 years. I believe mine got to this horrible level in 2014 because I am extremely stressed and my body is weakened. I have been in a divorce for 5 years and I had been nursing a child for 21 months, plus I am getting older. I made sure to use the steroids and other strong pharmaceuticals minimally once I had the diagnoses (no more than 6 weeks with 3 different styles medications). I only used them briefly while I sought more natural remedies and minimized pharmaceuticals due to side effects and dangers I'm nit comfortable with for my body. I see an acupuncturist once a month for maintenance and have a routine if I sense a flare up. However, I can have sex, wear painties, leggings, jeans, etc, and walk again. All things I couldn't do in November 2014. I am able to catch the flare ups and stop them before they continue,. However, if I end up on oral steroids for my asthma, I found that can cause extreme imbalance and ignite a flare up that is scarily almost as severe as when I was bedridden. So one of my biggest chores is self care, in that I need to minimize the stress I live under since I can not control it. I must learn to conteractv the stress with rest because I may never be done with court.

I wish you luck. It is a horrible condition. Do not listen when doctors or even other LS sufferers say you must just live with it and give up sex and clothes etc, and be stuck on steroids that wear your body down. I am evidence that isn't true. When I was sobbing about what the Internet and doctors said, I have my mother to thank. She encouraged me not to accept that as my fate and to keep searching and trying. I hope to pass that encouragement on to you.

Lisa

• Posted

aww big hug to you as you have and still are having a difficult time !. But good for you that you are still fighting back strong . Thank you for your kind words of encouragement !. I have been very lucky that it hasn't effected my sex life !. Other than in my head I worry about my vagina closing up !. But the Dr did reassure me that , that happens if it is neglected !. Looking back about 7 years ago I had a full on flu virus that knocked me off my feet for 3 months . My body has never been the same since !. I get so fatigued ! Do you suffer with it at all ?. The lady I see on Monday says if your system is balanced and strengthened then disease carn 't survive !. I hope she can help ! I am not listening to the Drs when they say just get on with it and I don't want to use steroids every day !. I am a fighter and I want to help other people as well as myself . Take care anthem sun will shine again , Jackie x
    • Posted

Thank you! Yes, I'm very fatigued and I need to be careful. I do suffer with LS symptoms sometimes but now it is rare because I can feel it coming on. I also do many preventative routines to keep it at bay. Some might say mine is in remission. My gynecologist said "it's gone! " and told me not to come back unless I had pertinence again. She was pretty surprised and really had no idea how I did it. She had promised me a life of daily steroids and continuous flare ups. I keep hoping to write down everything one day to share worth others before I forget what I did.
    • Posted

Oops...symptoms not pertinence
    • Posted

That's brill ! Yes that would be helpful to know ! It is surprising how you for get and will help many people . Thank you for your help , Jackie x
    • Posted

I too have experienced that nature path methods are more gentle and I have been helped by it.  However, both conservative meds and nature paths have no cure for LS.  I'm comfortable at present, but need to always be on alert.  

Another thing I became aware of just recently is that stimulating one's metabolism has a positive affect on the whole of our bodies.  And with that I think that LS stays better as well.  I just keep trying, but have not found permanent answers yet.  

• Posted

Hi , yes my Dr mentioned this to me last week in my check up ! He said there was a big connection with thyroid and Ls !. And thyroid is a hormone that controls metabolism . I had a blood test done and will get my result on 12 th feb . I have always felt I have a hormone out of balance !. My periods are very regular , but given my age (47) I always get told it's probably your age !. When idea I the raspberry leaf tea it was amazing how the itch just stopped !. But found that it gave me a headache and made me feel dizzy !. So just have odd cup now and then . And that helps . Herbs are very powerful , but I find then quite strong for my system ( I am very sensitive to things ) anyway I will keep trying . What did you use to get you out of your really bad time ?. And what do you use for maintenance  ? Jackie x
    • Posted

My hormones were out of balance and my thyroid was, off too. Now, I take a thyroid pill.
    • Posted

My biggest thing is baking soda baths and rinses, and to moisturize coconut oil, sometimes emu oil.  Plus diet: no sugar, gluten, alcohol, dairy.  (cheese seems to be a sure trigger)  Trying live a life without stress. (not always possible of course)  Careful composition of meals.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have used sitz baths at times when the LS was aggravated..but I have also heard that the baking soda can alter your ph levels and cause more problems if trying to get your body in balance and shoot for remission. For this reason, I stopped the sitz baths. However, I still did sit in the same type of bath with just a few dropped of lavender oil. Hope that helps.

Lisa

• Posted

thank you , I have tried salt water and that stings me ! But was thinking more candula oil and lavender oil . I will give it a go ! Jackie
    • Posted

Lisa, the baking soda baths only alter slightly at skin level.  And that is beneficial for LS somehow.  Next to that, it is easy to check you pH levels with test strips.  

Many infections or hard to heal wounds have been cured by putting hand or feet in luke warm water with some baking soda.  It is a very old method.  

• Posted

Oh yes. I know. I'm just saying in the long run they dud not help heal it or control outbreaks. But I used this method infrequently to sooth.
    • Posted

It would be great if we could develop a cure.  This far we only have methods to make LS more liveable.  No harm to keep trying and searching. Never to give up.  Perhaps one day ....  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.