has anyone tried Sotolol as an alternative to Bisoprolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

2 years ago I was taken off Bisoprolol and prescribed Sotolol. I found the Sotolol worked quite well for my AF but now the cardiologist has put me back on Bisoprolol and I have never felt so ill. Does anyone have experience of taking Sotolol and if so was it a good or bad experience. Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was put on Bisoprolol and had side effects. Sweating, clammy, upset stomach. I was then put on Flecainide but they made me light headed/dizzy. I stopped them and got an appointment with my Dr this afternoon. What symptoms are you having with the bisoprolol? 
    • Posted

Hi Merryl. I had severe pain in my abdomen, was sweating and shaking etc. I have had ultrasound tests for Liver, Gall Bladder, Pancreas, Ovarian cancer etc but nothing has been found. I am pleased about that but the pain has now moved down to the bottom of my abdomen and I feel shaky and uneasy. I did have a urine infection diagnosed and that has been treated but I still have the ache and feel generally under the weather. I will be talking to my GP tomorrow and think I am going to try Carvedilol which my cardiologist said may improve my symptoms. I think Carvedilol is another name for Flecainide. I hope your symptoms clear up soon.
    • Posted

Hi marylou, I was getting shaky and the uneasy feeling too, not very nice it felt a bit like being hyper. I will be seeing my Dr at 2 this afternoon. I would like to have the ablation and not be on tablets for the rest of my life. Most people who have this done don't suffer with AF anymore. 

Hope you have some luck with your Dr. 

• Posted

Hope your appointment goes well, let me know if you get any joy. I have heard that the ablation doesnt always work and I wondered if it was worth going for that option.  How bad is your AF? mine is not continuous, it comes and goes, but I normally have at least one short attack a day but I cough really hard and that gets my heart back in rythmn.
    • Posted

Hi, the Dr is sending me to see a gastro Dr because I have an hiatus hernia and that is playing up as well. I also had h pylori last year and had a course of antibiotics but need another test to see if has cleared or not.

I saw a private Dr for my AF about a month ago and he put me on Flecainide and I am seeing him again 2 weeks time to see how I got on with the meds. But as I said in my last post I stopped taking them. When I was in hospital for the AF I was told my next follow up appointment is not until 2015 so too long to wait that's why I went private.  

I have heard  the ablation don't always work but it can be done again if needed. I dont get the palps every day either but get them often. I also cough to get rid of them. I have had this for over 20 years but think they are getting worse.  

• Posted

Im about the same as you then regarding the hiatus hernia etc. and I have had this trouble for well over 30 years. Good Luck with it all and hope you get it sorted out soon.
    • Posted

When I was in hospital (was there for 10 days after an attack of AF) a Dr told me that hiatus hernia can cause the ectopic beats but mine is mild so don't know if that is the cause. I will have to wait and see what the private Dr will say.

Let me know how you get on with your Dr tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.