Has anyone tried to come off fluoxetine after years of use?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been taking it a lot of years wthout a break , is it possible to come off them ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My goal is to be off of fluoxetine. My plan, with alot of reading and from others experience's is super slow. I plan to go with 3-5% every two months and see how it goes. Just dropping it or going with large reductions I've read of more problems with withdrawals as one's brain is so use to them. My doctor's advice was to soon on a prior med and pharmacist was going with missing a start of minus 50% dose on one of the day's first week then 2 second week and so on. Speak with your doctor and pharmacist if your serious but forsure if you do, take it very slow.

• Posted

Yes it is.  I came off Citalopram (another SSRI) after taking it for 16 years.  Cit is tablet form though and I think Fluoxetine is capsule is it?  Does Flu come in tablet form too?  Only wondering because I reduced from 20mg Cit by 5mg at a time doing 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 / 0 (last 2 doses I crushed) and spent about 1-2 months on each dose. That way I had no withdrawl at all (unlike the first time I reduced a couple of years earlier).

Each time I reduced I waited to see how and if at any time I thought I didn't feel well then it was a small enough amount to go back to the previous dose.  Luckily it didn't affect me.

The slower the better and by the smallest amount you can.  I took a year to withdraw.

See your doctor to discuss what the smallest dose is you could reduce by.

• Posted

I had been on cit for over 6 years and I was told to just wean off 20's in a month. I had really bad withdrawal for a month. I'm now off them but feeling depressed again after being off since october. Did you feel like this? Also when you took them again the second time dis you get side effects starting them?

• Posted

The first time I reduced I withdrew over many, many months and reduced by half each time - I still had withdrawal effects.  I restarted after 1 year off them due to the stress of family illness and yes I had side effects again starting them - but, they were different from the first time, in fact I had a totally different experience and it took longer, but it didn't seem as fierce as the first time.

Second time I withdrew I spent a year doing it - no withdrawal at all because I did it by a tiny amount each time.  I've been off them 6 months now.

Withdrawing as quick as you did I feel not only gives you withdrawal effects but also shocks the body.  I think its kinder to your body to do it slower and believe it'll be less likely depression returns because the body isn't shocked.

I wish there were proper guidelines for withdrawal because some doctors do say to do it too quickly.

• Posted

I just feel like the doctors don't care or have a clue how badly it effects people. And they don't help with withdrawal plan or say how long to expect side effects or anything. I went through hell to come off but im feeling so ill again that I'm in 2 minds if to go back on. I've got a box of cit sat there but reluctant and anxious to take them re side effects and withdrawal again. I feel stuck at the moment. I wish there was something else that worked other than drugs!

• Posted

I once tried to cut down slowly and got aggitated and bad tempered which isnt like me i was like jekyl and hyde
    • Posted

I think many of them underestimate just how dreadful it feels just to have anxiety.  To non sufferers they imagine its like being a bit anxious before sitting an exam or something similar.  The reality is nothing like it at all.

Since I've been off meds I've taken 5-HTP which is a natural SSRI and bought over the counter.

I'll message you.

• Posted

One thing I started as a supplement after alot of study is magnesium. Thinking I am probably deficient with. I have felt better and you my ask your doctor and read up on it. As Kate mentioned above, I'm interested in also and will be work in progress for my goal of being off of SSRI's completely. Takes alot of time figuring what works for each person but it's good to hear others experience's and knowledge from them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.