HAS ANYONE TRYED THIS TO HELP WITH COPD

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just read in the newspaper about a device that is meant to help shortness of breathing called Areosure by increasing the flow of air in and out of the airways which helps leads to respiratory fitness and helps you to breath easy.  It seems to have really good write ups but is pretty expensive if it does not work at around £120. This I don't mind if it helped but I wanted to know your thoughts and if anyone else has it.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

its two devices in one , one for clearing mucus and one to strengthen breathing muscles.

Apart from the £120, there is extra cost of replacing the head cost about £49 every six months. If you do go ahead buy fromthe manufacturer website, They do bundles.

If it’s just for breathing, look at ( 3 Ball Breathing Lung execiser/ 3 Ball Incentive Spirometer £11.56 from Amazon and it works.

Often given to patients before major surgery to strengthen lungs.

• Posted

god why don't they tell you these things if they help. So I guess what I really want to know is Do they help enough that I don't have to go on so much Steriods as last year it was constant and now have to go for a bone scan I knew they are not good to take constantly but when you cant breathe and struggle to work then its a must if nothing else helps

• Posted

that'll be because in each individual case the answer is unknown.

Power Breath Medic used to be prescribed on the NHS athletes use something similar also.  You don't get offered these things you have to ask and depending on which doc you ask you may or may not get one prescribed.  In addition its not a case of everyone can benefit or even should try, could be disadvantageous for some lungs.

I don't use mine anymore as recently the respiratory nurse didn't think it was a good idea with additional lung prob I have now.  Also the other thing I think of is the hygiene of it.  I did rinse mine every time after use and sterilised twice a week but still you are inhaling and exhaling through the device.  Guess you could say the same for anything along those lines though.

Choice is down to the individual with a little advice or recommendation from your GP or respiratory team.

• Posted

I just thought it was something new, but yes I am going to ask what they think first now. Yesterday when I saw it in paper was so excited glad I did not buy it right away now  
    • Posted

Hi, Stone-UK

​I have one of those 3 ball breathing thingies.  I was given it over 10 years ago when I had my knees replaced.  I had considered using that so I will start now.  Thanks. biggrin

• Posted

Look on line most are cheaper and do the same thing most cost around the £30 

• Posted

I did look at the one on the paper and all said around that price tho.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret My poor hubby isn't well with breathing problems,but he hasn't been properly investigated as to if he's got COPD they did a blood test on his heart & he's not in heart failure,Thank goodness, but he's on 3 inhalers per day, and the Gp reckons he's done damage to his sternum & ribs. He gave up smoking over 3 months ago.Bless him.When he walks around he gets puffed out.Hes always been a shallow breather. He's on morphine slow release patch & muscle relaxant as he's got chronic on going Osteoarthritis of hips knees and spine and deaf & severely sighted in both eyes. so we hoping with in the next couple of weeks for an urgent appointment!! Regards Amanda

• Posted

As far as I'm aware aerosure hasn't had enough study to prove it helps and it is a bit expensive.  I agree that a flutter device is probably just as good and a whole lot cheaper.  Why not start with the cheaper things first and then if they don't help move on to aerosure.  If you want to spend money on it then I guess it does help some people but not others is what I have heard.  x

• Posted

I have never heard of a flutter device or what its for, if they help why don't they tell us at doctors. I want something so I don't have to go on steroids all the time so if anything helps I will try it if I know it would x

• Posted

The flutter device is prescribed if you have trouble clearing mucus Margaret, it is only prescribed if the patient needs it.  I think you need to discuss things with your doctor and perhaps ask for a referral to pulmonary rehabilitation, the education course included in that (if you are living in the UK) will help you understand things a bit better.  

Perhaps put that question to your doctor about something that helps or something you can do that may help you to avoid having to take the steroids all the time, see what your doctor says.

• Posted

You can buy your own flutter device if you want one Vee.  Sometimes they are given to you on the NHS other times they aren't.  It's not dangerous or anything to buy your own and try it as it's only for getting up mucus which has to be a good thing.  x

• Posted

Yes to purchase you own is an option, as is using one regardless if you need it.   Dangerous not suggesting the flutter was.
    • Posted

Fair enough Vee.  I must have misunderstood what you meant.  Sorry  Bev xx
  • Posted

I live in Canada and they are advertising Aerosure a lot.  I bought a Aerobika. There are many You Tube videos on this.  It helped me last March after an exasarbation.  I am going to start using it 10 min per day for 2-4 times.  I paid about $65. Cdn. and there are no parts that require replacement.  I never get mucus; however, with everything I read about this disease, I do have mucus and it doesn't come up.  I notice when I use the Aerobika

I do get mucus up.  My CO2 has recently dropped and I am trying to get it back up.  I will let you know in a couple of weeks how it is doing.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.