Has anyone upped their dosage of Fluoxetine and felt a great difference?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am currently on 20mg of Fluoxetine for anxiety. I am in my 8th week now and during week 5 & 6 I felt much better however last week and this week I am waking up with the anxious stomach etc. I feel very flat too which is very unlike me. I am wondering if it just needs more time to begin making a bigger difference or if I need to up my dosage. Does anyone have any words of advice? I also wondered if these symptoms are due to being pre menstrual. Does anyone find that they feel differently the week before their period begins?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sally x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Sally

I have been on fluoxetine for 5 months now and still get the odd day where i feel spacey and disengaged from everything i had every side effect under the sun wnich i am glad to say has gor much betther and on the whole im feeling like my old self again which is great motivation was the worse or lack of it !! i dreaded getting out of bed in the mornings but now im up with the larks and i actually look forward to going to work, i hope this helps hang in there sally things wiil get better when i went back to the doctors after 4 weeks because i was ffeling like you he said it was early days, he was right, good luck and keep in touch thats the great thing about this site we are all here for each other love sharon xx

• Posted

Hi sally.

I increased my dose to 40mg after week 4 with the advise from my gp.

I noticed feeling better a couple days in the higher dose,  coincidence? ? 

I spoke to a friend whose a pshychologist recently who told me that 20mg is a low dose so that made me feel better as I was thinking 40mg was too high.

Im now on my 7th week fluoxetine,  3rd week at 40mg and my head is feeling better but still not 100% .

I am trying to be patient and going to see how I feel aftet 10 weeks.

I think the important thing is to go to your gp to discuss. 

Hope this helps 

• Posted

Hi qsqs, can you tell me if you take your tablets together in the morning or evening or do you split it have one in the morning and one in the evening.

Thanks

Karen

• Posted

Hi 

I am in my 5th week one week at 20 mg then the rest 40 mg my tiredness has gone it was unbearable before I'm feeling a bit more positive smile

• Posted

Thank You everyone for taking thetime to reply. It really is helpful . Sally x
  • Posted

Dear Sally,

Fluoxetine is a subjective thing. Initially I was started on 40mg/day and I just couldn't handle the side effects. I consulted my doctor and we agreed to reduce to 20mg which worked fine for me (with the background anxiety at times). Now I am at 10mg, and hopefully will taper it off in a few months time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.