Has anyone used an over the counter pill cutter to reduce Remeron dosage for weaning?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to wean off mirtazapine 30 mg. Tablet is scored. Has anyone used a pill cutter to reduce the tablet. I think 26. 25 mg is a good first weaning attempt but how can you get to 7/8 of a 30 mg pill? My provider thinks 3/4 of the 30 mg dose is a good start but I think 22.5 mg is too drastic a drop and I'm terrified of the withdrawal symptoms. Has anyone done a similar wean? Maybe I can get her to prescribe the 7.5 mg pill which would cut in half better. suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been taking it for?

If you cannot get liquid, you need to crush the tablets, assuming it is safe to crush (Olanzapine is so this most likely is).

I used a pill crusher to reduce olanzapine by 10% each week; you need milligram scales to facilitate this. Crush each pill, pour it out onto, say, a stiff piece of clean cardboard, then pour that into the small tray you get with the milligram scales. You will have to lick your finger and dab up the powder.

Crude, but it works.

Do not rush the taper. If you start to struggle, there are many posts here that both Sarah and I have participated in that have good advice.

And finally, in my (unprofessional) opinion, Whoever recommended you reduce by 3/4 in one jump is a complete M0R0N and should not be allowed to give dangerous advice like that.

Good luck 😃

• Posted

Thank you. I agree that as slow as possible is the only way. Am on 1/2 of the original olanzapine dose and doing ok except quite tired. Will advocate for very slow w/d for mirtazapine. Scares me to wean off that one since dosage is high. I do agree that sometimes the professionals don't get it since they haven't been there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.