Has anyone with Gleason 8 or 9 said no to radio therapy?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Although I have aggressive cancer (Gleason 9) there is still no evidence that it has spread outside the prostate. But my oncologist tells me that it probably has spread already, even though it doesn't yet show up on the scans. He recommends radio therapy on the off chance that it is still contained within the prostate. He accepts however that it probably serves no purpose if the cancer has already begun to metastasise.

My question is - should I go ahead now with radio therapy and accept the possibly gruelling side effects? I am a fit 74 year old and the next five years are more important to me than living to be 90!! As I understand it, hormone therapy alone will keep the cancer under control for most, if not all, of the next five years. And who knows? New hormone drugs may be developed over that time which may extend my quality of life a little longer.

Is there anyone else out there facing my dilemma?

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Peter, yes I have a Gleason score of 8 and was recommended for Radio Therapy, I had 20 days and am on Zoladex. I was put on this drug a month after I was diagnosed with PC also a Tablet for a month, “sorry I can’t remember the name of it but it’s to put a stop to your Totestrone” I have been told I will be on Zoladex for 3 years, this to suppress any Cancer cells still left in the Prostrate Gland! The reason I was told that was with an number 8 it is likely that after Radiotherapy the cells that are still left will become more aggressive! So will need Zoladex to suppress them. I am not altogether believing this, but what do you do? This Zolodex is not easy to live with, some of the side affects really knock me about. But the alternative is not an option! Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Thanks Terry

I started this discussion in 2014 and a Greason score of 9. After some doubts about the side effects of radio therapy I went ahead and I’m glad I did. I came off a testosterone blocker fifteen months later and since then have had nothing apart from regular PSA checks - all of which have been around 0.03. So, I seem to have been lucky. As to side effects, the main one is that my sex life is non existent now but, at 77 it would probably have diminished by now anyway. Otherwise I’m fine. It sounds as though you are having more to cope with but let’s hope things get better for you over time. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Peter James - please read my own story.  I had one shot of radiotherapy shortly after being diagnosed, before saying "enough" It's now 7 years later without radiotherapy. Hormone therapy keeps me going.  My life is good.  No side effects (except for no sex plus "sweats"wink  I can live with that - no problem.  Also I have no strength at all - but what the hell, there are plenty of gardeners around at my stage of life! (I'm now 72).  Good luck.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.