Has anyone with M.E. had Covid-19?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone with M.E./CFS had Covid-19 or know of anyone with M.E./CFS who has had it? It's an unknown as to how the immune system of someone with M.E./CFS will react to the novel coronavirus. I would be interested to hear any personal accounts please. Thank you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Good question. Will our immune system prevent us from even getting the virus or will we succumb and suffer a severe relapse?

• Edited

hi, i developed post viral fatigue syndrome after a really nasty bout of glandular fever.

Ever since, i've had an overactive immune system and very rarely get sick for more than a couple of days before my body seems to fight it off. I have suffered on and off with CFS flare ups - sometimes i can go a year without a crash and then it'll hit again.

However, I've spent the last 10 days battling very hard against suspected Covid-19. My dad attended a festival before the lockdown measures so i believe i caught it from him.

It's been really traumatic, the chest tightness and pain is unimaginable, along with fever, nausea, dizzyness, weakness, exhausation, coughing and difficulty breathing. I am almost certain I have had it, and i spoke to NHS 111 and they told me just to rest and recover.

i will await to see how my body reacts as I've just started to see improvements in my health in the last day. It's really a nasty virus.

• Edited

That sounds awful. I hope you get better very soon.

• Edited

Hi ys,, i have had ME & Fibro since 2001, & i have gone from severe at tyms to mild,, and i was in benidorm mid march & i started to feel fluey,after 24 hrs the hotel i was in was closed down,& i managed to get home quickly,but the journey home was so tuff & for the next 12 days i was so poorly and totally bed bound, then the docs came out and i had chest & lung infection and i was put on strong Antibiotics for the infections but told they cudnt do anything once i was diagnosed with covid 19,& was 24 hours of being hospitalised, i had the sore throat, dry cough, sweats, etc and struggled to breath, i do use an inhaler thiu,then for another 13 days i really found it so tuff, but because i was resting so much i had to try and decide what symptoms were the ME or the Covid

but i must admit my ME has been alot better or was for those 25 days, but the last 3-5 days i feel im crashing again and now feel i dont want to do anything again, im a half glass full person and have pushed myself the last 18 years as i have always believed i cud beat it, until i learned that i was ill and since then i have re trained myself to learn cope to cope with ME etc, and i say its about what i can do rather than what i cant, life is for living so we shud make the most of what we have been dealt as there are always so many others so much worse off, ( i have 3 friends who are brothers who have died from covid 19 in last 8 days & one other brother is still in ICU,, so so sad )

one thing i have noticed since recovering from the covid 19 is that i feel so so tired in a different way,

b4 i wud know how much i needed to rest once i had done something but at the mo my body is screaming at me to just sleep 24/7,

the next couple of weeks will tell i suppose.

stay well and stay safe. x

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It sounds as if you are well over the virus and now have the fatigue to overcome. Rest up and take it easy.

• Posted

That sounds like an awful experience but am so glad you have managed to get through the worst of it and will hopefully be on the road to a recovery. You mentioned that you use an inhaler and I wondered if this helped with the breathing problems? I have ME and asthma but don't use a brown inhaler only the blue one if my asthma flares up. Something like catching a cold is a trigger for my asthma so I'm certain that if I catch Covid 19 it will most likely make my asthma flare up. Just not sure how you would tell the difference between asthma flare up and Covid 19 breathing problems or if the inhaler would even help?

Listen to your body and get lots of rest and wishing you a recovery soon.

• Posted

Hi,

Wow that sounds really quite a difficult experience. I used to have asthma as a child which I fortunately grew out of, but I often thought at times when I was having difficulty breathing how bad covid19 would be for asthma sufferers.

I'm also struggling with fatigue now, I still have the odd symptom (bit of chest pain & back pain) and its only been 12 days since the start of my symptoms of covid19, but I'm quite shaken up and worried about how the fatigue is going to manifest.

I also had a couple of panic attacks which I've never had before that have left me a little jumpy!

Please keep us updated and hope your feeling better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.