Has anyone with osteoarthritis hip also had severe lower leg pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently awaiting bilateral hip replacements and have been suffering severe lower leg pain on the left side for the past 4-6 weeks.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I have been advised that this is likely to be neuropathic pain, possibly emanating from my lower lumbar spine or even possibly the hip itself.  I am grateful for any comments.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your post would have a better followin on the rheumatology discussions... 
  • Posted

Thank you.  
  • Posted

sorry Joyce can't help you on that one, my neuropathic pain is in the side of my face, just at the moment I am trying to cope without medication as it upsets my stomach. I wish you luck 
  • Posted

Hello Joycy:

Yes, I have experienced this same pain, on my left side. I am i week out now from having an anterior approach THR on my left side. I have experienced this pain for some time (years). It has been explained to me that it is "referral" pain from my severely arthritic hip joint on the same side. I have experienced this pain after workouts.  In retrospect, I was infamming the hip joint after execise which referred pain down my leg to below the knee almost to the ankle. I fully expect this to be fully alleviated once the THR takes place. Furthermore, on a regimen of Ibuprofren, I have not experienced this pain.

I have also experinced knee pain on the same side. I did have a torn miniscus which I had taken care of via an arthroscopic procedure in June. That was to provide a better outcome for the THR procedure. But, a portion of the pain was also due to "referred" pain from the arthiritic hip joint.

I would encourage you to have further disscuions with your doctor. You are brave to go both at once!! I look forward to your follow-up to see if the pain is allevaited once you have your THR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.