Has anyone with PMR developed an allergy to certain food?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone, was diagnosed last November and put on 20mg pred, now down to 10mg but haven't been well since 19th July.  I had some kind of fever and slept for 11.5 hours.  Anyway 2 days later my stomach began to cramp and had diaorrea even after drinking water, was off my food completely.  Now I am just feeling a good bit better but still weak and eating normally now.  Having said that, I am still running to the toilet and have just worked out that it's when I eat bread (it doesn't matter if it's brown or white bread.  All comments welcome and thank you in advance.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,funnily enough found I can no longer eat white bread but am fine with wholeness.No idea why have just had to get used to it.
    • Posted

Oops meant wholemeal-predictive text a nuisance
    • Posted

Thank you Gillian, I knew what you meant.  Very rarely do I eat white bread, mostly wholemeal.  I will get it sorted soon, I'm sure.
    • Posted

Thanks,Will do.Just taken first dose and got everything crossed I do not get side effects. Been told to keep on with painkillers as can take up to 14 wks before I will feel better-crikey that will almost be Christmas what a thought
    • Posted

As Methotextrate is usually used as a steroid sparing agent once you are down to 10mg.  I will be very interested to see what happens with Metho, without pred.

Keep an eye out for GCA symptoms.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Gillian, yes hopefully no side effects.  14 weeks is long if you are in pain but hopefully you won't be.  
    • Posted

Hi Pam am keeping fingers crossed as it would be lovely to feel "normal" again.Felt nauseous morning after first dose but ok today
    • Posted

Hi Gillian, yes I understand the wanting to feel normal again.  Hope some day we will.  Hope meds is going ok with you.
  • Posted

I have developed a sensitivity to Gluten.  This could be your problem.  I'm not sure which came first, PMR or Gluten sensitivity. (I do not have celiac disease, this is milder.) My symptoms appear with my nose running and mucus running down my throat. I thought that was all that was going on, but have finally figured out a lot of my flares were influenced by the amount of gluten I had consummed. Apparently, there was more inflammation going on inside my body, that I was unaware of.

I am 73 years old and finally came up with a diagnosis of PMR. I go to see a Rheumatologist in a couple of weeks. 

• Posted

Thank you Judy, I was thinking that if it is not a bug/virus them maybe I have developed a sensitivity to Gluten.  It remains to be seen.  I have to do a stool sample and leave it in to the nurse along with some bloods.   Good luck with your appt. to see Rheuma and let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

I had a similar experience after about 7 months on pred - cut out all gluten/wheat for a month and then reintroduced it - no problems. Who knows, could just be a coincidence.
    • Posted

Thanks flipdover - it's worth a try.  I'll wait for results and if it's still going on then I will cut wheat/gluten out.  See what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.