Has anyone with PMR developed an allergy to certain food?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone, was diagnosed last November and put on 20mg pred, now down to 10mg but haven't been well since 19th July.  I had some kind of fever and slept for 11.5 hours.  Anyway 2 days later my stomach began to cramp and had diaorrea even after drinking water, was off my food completely.  Now I am just feeling a good bit better but still weak and eating normally now.  Having said that, I am still running to the toilet and have just worked out that it's when I eat bread (it doesn't matter if it's brown or white bread.  All comments welcome and thank you in advance.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh,goodness, the dreaded diarrhea, and tummy cramps, ugh. So sorry. 

Just want to share importance of probiotics... I didn't take any last 7 months on Pred because doc said no dairy. My poops have been so gross and soft, mushy. I had good poops before PMR/Pred. Now that I'm back on probiotics (pill, for refrigerated) my poops are heading toward shapely poops! Yeah! 

I had just assumed I had to live with the other... Ugh. 

I only get occassional diarhea if I eat something from frig that just might be a tad too old, or too much spicy peppers.  Also, I may be fighting silent acid reflux, getting checked next week, but I feel so mich better now on probiotics and apple cider vinegar. 

hope you feel better soon. I no longer do flour, grains, sugars, starches BTW.  

• Posted

What's left after no flour, Grains, sugars and starches?
    • Posted

Hi Layne, thanks for your message.  My tummy seems to be settling down, hopefully I am on the road to recovery, fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Hi Pat, as a 55year old I am still reluctant to start prednisolone for my PMR symptoms however I too have found there are times when bread causes me an issue so it's possible that it's the PMR rather than the prednisolone causing the issue, Good luck at the Drs always worth getting these things checked out 
    • Posted

' I am still reluctant to start prednisolone for my PMR symptoms'

Sorry to see this left untreated and sometimes when treated PMR an and does lead to GCA and that is a road you do not want to go down at all.

• Posted

Do, do take care!  Not starting on pred could be really dangerous.  It won't go away and could/will cause difficulties.  The only medicine to deal with PMR is pred.  None of us like it, we just have to put up with it.

Regards from Constance

• Posted

Thank you Handbrake, am getting it checked out.  I could not be without pred.  I started at 20mg last November and am down to 10mg now.  I could not go back to that pain.  On a scale of 0 being ok and 10 being very painful, I would give it 15.  I have never experienced pmr pain.  I could not turn in bed.  Could not get in/out of bed, or in/out of shower (I had to of course) it took me 2.5 hours to get ready for an 8 minute drive to see dr.  Hopefully those days are gone.
    • Posted

Handbrake, as the others have said, failing to bring your PMR inflammation quickly under control with Prednisolone can lead to other nasties getting in through the back door, including the linked condition Giant Cell Arteritis.  That is exactly what happened to me when a consultant failed to diagnose my PMR for over a year, in spite of carrying out numerous scans.  Four months of that year were spent in bed in agony, travelling to hospital appointments by ambulance and  wheelchair.  I spontaneously recovered without Pred towards the end of that year, only for symptoms to return along with additional really nasty ones and eventally both GCA and PMR were diagnosed.

Although I so hope it doesn't, there is around a three in ten chance of succumbing to GCA whilst on Pred for PMR, which rises to a seven in ten chance without treatment.

• Posted

I have a wheat allergy which started after the PMR started - just to European hard durum wheat! Other forms of wheat seem to be OK. It is probably part of the autoimmune damage.

However - there is something called post-viral irritable bowel syndrome - you have a viral gut problem, it damages the lining of the gut and it takes some considerable time to recover. My husband has had it for the last couple of years. Most of the time he's OK but it does return on occasions. The gastroenterologist has told him to use probiotic capsules and some stuff that helps bind the gut contents and slow things down - I'd tell you what it is but I'm not at home to look at the pack.

Do ask your GP - he might have some suggestions but if it is post-viral IBS it is just a case of being patient and avoiding too much of any foods that trigger it. If it is the same as me - same again, avoid the triggers.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen for your message.  I got some bloods done yesterday, vit D, iron, ceoliac, crp and a stool sample.  I will know the results next week. Everything seems to have settled down now.  My actual gut was sore or felt bruised when I ate or even drank water but it's gone now.  If it starts again I will know what to avoid.  biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.