Has anyones HS ever gotten worse with dietary changes or with the use of 'EmuAid'?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had HS under my breasts for about 3 years now. I was diagnosed at the same time I was diagnosed with PCOS, a hormonal disorder in women characterized by elevated androgen levels. HS and PCOS can often come together. My HS has remained relatively mild, maybe even getting a bit less severe in terms of the size of boils. However, two months ago I made the decision to change my diet and lifestyle completely in the hopes to lose weight, balance my androgen levels, my gut, and improve HS. I have been doing Whole30 (similar to Paleo) for two months now and have lost about 30lbs. My diet used to be EXTREMELY unhealthy so its a massive turn around. I'm exercising again and am taking herbs and supplements provided by a nutritionist. I thought that all of this hard work I am doing would have made me feel like myself again but I have never felt more defeated. My HS is now getting worse again (the worst it has ever looked), with more small bumps forming in locations that they were not before. I am starting to feel the itch that I hadn't felt in months and the sharp pains deep under my skin at random times. I have cut out every single possible food trigger that is known with the exception of nightshades (however I am not eating more nightshades than I was before changing my diet). The only explanation that seems plausible to me is that my body is going through some type of transformation and trying to rebalance my hormones and my gut.

**My question is - has anyone ever experienced this with the initial dietary change? Does it get worse before it gets better? **

Four days ago I started putting EmuAid Max on the effected area since I have seen good reviews. And I am incredibly disappointed so far because I feel like it might actually be making it worse. My active boils are now collecting puss at the top and feel sore whereas before they were just red. Is that what is supposed to happen? Is it draining everything out so that it can then heal? I feel my itchiness is worse as well.

If anyone knows about if treatments such as dietary changes and EmuAid can actually make HS worse before it gets better that would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling at such a loss and am terrified of my case getting worse. It seems everything I do doesn't seem to be working the way I had hoped.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do feel for you Eliana. I've just suffered an outbreak for the first time ever under my arm. Absolutely horrible. I usually get them in my groins.

I pay no real attention to diet, other than to avoid processed foods wherever possible.

I keep pushing Zinc Picolinate as if I had shares in the company. I really don't 😃 When I first started 50mg of zinc daily, I did not have an outbreak for over 4 months. Sadly, it returned, but not quite as severe as before. I find Sudocrem helpful and soothing during an outbreak.

I can only wish you well. Well done in losing so much weight.

• Edited

Hello Eliana. I to changed my diet. i stopped eating anything that came from a cow. no beef, milk, cheese, yogurt. the ONLY thing i do still use is butter. i saw a major change for a while but then it came back ( not as bad though). there are sooo many things that people try and it works for them but not others. some say cutting yeast , nightshades, and even chocolate. i use oregano oil on my flare ups as well as the pills. it helps me a lot with the leaking. if you try this cut it with a carrier oil like coconut. its hella strong. Sorry to ramble i just want to help because i REALLY DO know your pain. I hope some of this helped

• Posted

Hi Eliana, I can completely emphasize with you on the issue of emuaid possibly making things worse. Once I began to use emuaid on a longtime open abscess flareup in my groin, the top skin became bright red and more sensitive to touch. It also became somehow more inflamed (but not the usual kind.. this is top skin rather than deep). the spikes of stinging pain daggers were more common as I would stand or squat, or slide into the drivers seat of my car 😱 Bandages can seriously be a big source of pain and irritation from adhesive - am I right?!) I also experienced the itching and I still do. Not the abscess itself but the track and area directly around it.

Honestly, I dont have much of an answer for if it helps. I feel like it has helped in some ways but only after a small window of making it worse. And also if I continue use, it can sometimes make it flair up again.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.