Has Ephedrine nasal drops ever helped clear anyone's ETD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been sufferin with blocked euthracian tubes for the last month with my ears popping and crackling when I swallow or yawn and also.the constant ringing. Have ephedrine nasal drops ever helped clear anyone's EDT?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hy Ryan, ETD can be a very long-lasting condition, especially if not treated correctly. The good news is: you can do a number of things to help your tubes clear up and heal. One of them is in fact taking nose drops. The problem is, since the eustachian tubes are behind the eardrum, any ear drops you use will be blocked and won't be able to reach them, but if you use nasal drops, then you will reach them through your nasal cavity, which is connected to them.

There is a particular technique for spraying the drops the right way: you need to lower your head downwards, facing the floor, and then point the tip of the nasal spray directly towards the back of your head (not upwards like you normally would to target your sinuses). If you don't do it like this, it will be utterly useless since it won't reach your tubes.

Ephedrine is good, as is fluticasone propionate (keep in mind that this is a corticosteroid though, so if you have any other condition whereas you should avoid coritsone in any form, you won't be able to use this). You can also use another product, which has proven to be extremely effective, it's called oxymetazoline. The only drawback of this last medication is that it is insanely addictive, so you shouldn't use it for more than three days in a row. However, in a couple of days it can give you some major relief and really help your tubes to overcome their block.

Good luck!

• Posted

Is oxymetazoline is useful for my son who is now 14 and has etd for about 10 years. He is using hearing aids since 3 years.
  • Posted

Thank you, I've been to the docs numerous times as I've had a sore & cold that developed into an ear infection and then my euthracian tube become blocked. I've had 3 courses of antibiotics, using steam baths, drinking lots of water, using oral decongestants.

I used the otriivine spray, but as you explained I did not use it correctly that would explain why my gp was surprised it didn't help.

Most of my symptons have eased, with the fullness feeling, echo of voice in my head going, the popping and crackiling sounds have eased too, I think the ringing in my ear has also too, or maybe I have just got used to it a bit more.

The ephedrine drops are a bit as I have to lay on the bed with my head hanging over the side and place to drops in each nostril, so they should come in direct contact with euthracian tubes.

Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

I hope things will get better for you soon. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.