Has exercise helped your PTSD ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been reading the latest research that says consistent exercise at least 3 times a week - or daily - can greatly reduce symptoms of PTSD. Has anyone tried this, and if so, has it helped you ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neva

I have had PTSD for around 40 years and i still get night terrors and other symptoms.

What must be recognised is that every case is different. I have additional mental health problems as well so diagnosis and medication can alter on a frequent basis. Some patients do not wish to take prescription drugs for PTSD and others may reject therapy like EMDR. (I have received EMDR but i wish that i hadn't)

As for exercise, I would mention that physical exertion, within reason,  is obviously good for all people, young and old.

But for me, exercise such as running and walking do nothing to help my PTSD. I have a mountain bike and I use it most days to journey into town which takes me 5 minutes. It helps a little physically and mentally; the latter more so.. 

However I do not go for long trips anymore as I recall one particular occasion when I cycled to the local country park, which was 7 miles away, but came home feeling suicidal. I know what is helpful regarding my case, and I'm not influenced by others. Sometimes it can do more harm than good, even though it is in the minority.

Having said this, you should certainly try it for yourself and see if it helps. Take on different exercises and if any help you I would suggest that you carry on. If none help your mental wellbeing, I suggest that you reflect further on best way forward.

II hope that my post is of some assistance.

God Bless You

John.

• Posted

Yes I did try this because initially my GP suggested medication which I did not want. At the same time I also asked them about exercise and they told me that it can help because it produces a hormone or some chemical in the body that acts as an anti depressant - so for me I thought this was better than medication (which can have side effects) I do a lot of walking anyway and added running to that too. I really found it helped. I didn't always run long distance - just as much as I could manage... 

hope this may be of help

• Posted

It helps me but I exercise quite a bit. It helps burn off the adrenaline.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Depression/ Anxiety/ PTSD/ OCD...exercise helps nearly all of these on a physiological level but it's also not a cure all. I've been exercising for years and I have also been living with PTSD and anxiety/OCD for nearly all my life. I will say the quality of my life greatly improves when I exercise/ plan my days accordingly. Otherwise it's just that..endorphins. I drink caffeine sometimes to help the level of my endurance but I wouldn't really advise doing this. 

• Posted

Swimming has helped me a lot. I go somewhere where there is also a sauna and I never feel more at peace and relaxed as when I swim and sit for a few cycles in a sauna.
  • Posted

This has been the number ONE thing to have helped me over the years. There’s definitely merit to that research. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.