Has HRT made you feel worse???

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there,

For all you ladies out there going through the menopause!

Have you tried any HRT?

Did you have any side effects like a flare up of your M.E. symptoms or something else?

Tried everything over the counter there is to try which stopped working for me and so can’t live without the HRT but thinking they are making me even more exhausted - am never out of my pj's n practically crawling around my little flat.  And sleep - oh my goodness am never awake! Well it feels like am never awake anyway...

Desperately needing some advice from you lovely ladies out there!

I’m taking the tablets...

Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My doctor recommended estrogen patches and prostegerone tablets. That worked really well but later had a mirena coil fitted which releases prostegone so now I only have the patches and that has definitely helped with fatigue. We did have to adjust the dose on the patch, I found 100 worked well 
  • Posted

I realise this is not very helpful because I'm not on HRT and I'm not going through menopause! But I've noticed that my symptoms are less severe during the part of my cycle where my estrogen and progesterone would be lowest (just before and at the beginning of my period). So I find it very interesting that you feel HRT has made your illness worse. Hormones, synthetic or otherwise, can really mess with our bodies.

• Posted

I'm on the HRT the patch. Can't live without them. I tried this past winter. Hot flashes non stop and depression, brain fog (worse) fatigue is worse without them. I've had the hot flashes for over 25 years every 10 minutes. My mother is 80 and she has been on hormones for 30+ years. She looks young no breast cancer and heart is in great shape. And has the bones of a thirty year old. I'm staying on them they work for me. I still feel crappy. However the hormones help. Good luck.

• Posted

I can't take ANYTHING except a little bit of dhea. Everything else natural or synthetic makes my symptoms 10 times worse. I get insomnia, shakes, heart palpitations, etc.

• Posted

Hi Dianna,

Can you let me know what you’ve already tried as I’m in so bad shape and don’t want to try all sorts of things and get even worse.  In which way did it make your symptoms worse ??

• Posted

Which natural things have you already tried ??
    • Posted

When I read this post with Lisa and her mother .  That sounds so convincing.  There are so many posts like this on the Internet.  That makes you think ?  It sounds like a wonder drug ?  But is it really ???  I already have palpitations and shakes.  The last thing needed is insomnia as well.
    • Posted

It's hard to remember everything I have tried but some of the things I tried were low dose hydrocortisone, natural cortisol, pregnenolone, prescribed low doses of estrogen and progesterone combos, bioidentical estrogen cream, progesterone cream, licorice root, adaptagens like ashwaganda and maca, adrenal supplements, thyroid supplements. All of these were stimulating my already over stimulated body. It would take only a couple of days and I'd be a nauseated, sleepless quaking mess of shakiness, heart palpitations, crying jags and horrible exhaustion. My doctor said he wouldn't even think of giving me a patch cuz he said it would make me insane! If you are already too stimulated (shakiness, heart palpitations) you'll need things to  calm down the system to even begin to heal. More stimulation is like wiping a tired race horse. Things like magnesium, meditation, monitoring your heart rate and keeping it below a threshold, breathing exercises, yoga, chamomile tea, etc. can possibly help. I can take some melatonin at night which helps me sleep but it's a low dose - about 1 miligram. And I can take some DHEA to help support the adrenals.

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I see your post is 10 months old. Have things improved for you. I am also going through menopause and going through hell.

• Posted

Hi Blanche

Just noticed your message and thought I'd give you some hope. I've also got ME/CFS and am going through the menopause but feel I'm eventually gradually improving a bit. I chose to not go down the HRT route as most medications I've tried in the past have made me worse. I've tried the natural approach instead.

I've changed my diet and reduced or cut out things that make me worse (alcohol and caffeine for example can bring on hot flushes). I'm trying to reduce sugar and having more energy balancing foods like porridge, oatcakes, sweet potatoes, beans, etc. I've also increased magnesium in my diet and am finding lentils, spinach, raw cacao powder, low fat milk and dark chocolate helpful. I used to just use a fan or wear layers for the hot flushes which I don't get nearly as often now. I've still got the extra layer of fatigue caused by the menopause but have decided I'll just need to rest more in between tasks. I also listen to guided meditations which can help relax you and you feel more energised afterwards. I also do a bit gentle yoga when I can. The additional brain fog I had isn't so bad now and I feel I've more just got my ME/CFS brain fog without the extra menopause one on top.

When I first started going through the menopause (about 5 years ago) I thought my ME/CFS had suddenly got a lot worse for some reason and couldn't understand why. I've now realised that a lot of the menopause symptoms are very similar to ME/CFS ones so it's a bit like having a double dose of ME/CFS!

Try different things and see what works for you. HRT might be an option for you too. Things will improve eventually so be patient. Take plenty 'me time' and be kind to yourself.

Hope you find something that helps.

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry but what is ME/CFS.

I am really struggling with menopause so i started HRT 2 months ago. My doc told me to be patient as HRT takes about 3 months to work. I started menopause in Dec 2017 and since then every month for about 5 days i am sick and I stay in bed. This month i am so nauseous no energy feel weak. Have you experienced being sick once a month.

Menopause is destroying my life i have been for blood tests and gynae appointment besides slight gastritis all is fine

Thanks

Blanche

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I just googled ME/CFS.Very interesting i never knew about this condition

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.